H264 MP4s with High profile not streaming directly

jamesplay

jamesplay

After the previous update, the web player does not have an option to stream directly anymore with mp4s encoded with a high profile, and instead are transcoded now. I'm sure this is a bug because they streamed directly before the update.

Here's an example of media files that won't stream directly

TwqKHEx.png

KTiZtyi.png

The profile 'Main' however has an option to stream directly

NNs7h6j.png

I'm currently using version 3.0.5271.29451

which browser? because according to chrome specifications it does not support high, and my recent tests verified that.

jamesplay

Nightly (Firefox) and Chrome.

Both of the browsers work fine when using the <video> container on a test html page I made.

edit: screenshot, there's no external plugins or whatever, they run natively fine.

v83pg5p.jpg

Edited by jamesplay

jamesplay

Here's also a website that shows if your browser supports h264 high profiles. I've tested now on Nightly, Chrome and Firefox and they all work fine. This problem has happened ever since the last update.

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/graphics/videoformatsupport/default.html

Is it also possible to exclusively default to direct streaming for supported media files? Sometimes my videos are defaulting with transcoding, especially with 720/1080p videos, when I just want them to directly stream.

I think I found the difference, and I've fixed it. My tests were actually with m4v's, which chrome can direct play. But m4v's with h264 high profile will play but not display any video, so I've disabled it for them. But for mp4's I've re enabled it.

Here's also a website that shows if your browser supports h264 high profiles. I've tested now on Nightly, Chrome and Firefox and they all work fine. This problem has happened ever since the last update.

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/graphics/videoformatsupport/default.html

Is it also possible to exclusively default to direct streaming for supported media files? Sometimes my videos are defaulting with transcoding, especially with 720/1080p videos, when I just want them to directly stream.

Can you give some more examples?

jamesplay

I don't think I've stumbled on this issue for a while, I think it seems to be fixed. 

Will the mp4 high profile direct streaming be re-enabled come next beta/official release?