FR: Android - Default to Play with subtitles and/or forced transcode

bill the lizard

bill the lizard

I am using an older Transformer table (TF101) for viewing frequently. I bought the app because the interface interface is much nicer, but, it will not play back 1080p content I discovered after much trial and error. I recognize this is a hardware limitation. (1080p content technically plays but very badly if I use external MX player).

1. So my options currently are Advanced Play->select undefined subtitles (there are none)->Play to force a trans-code which comes out 720p. Yay, but there is no resume option.

or 

2. Turn the default bit-rate on WIFi/Lan way down to ensure all the rips trigger the threshold and trans-code. This is especially tough because of Pixar movies. They nicely encode to very low  rates.

Option 1 forces me to start over every time we watch something, and reacts very poorly to jumping ahead. Plus it have to set it every time. This is a bit whiny i know.

Option 2 yields poor quality streams because I need to set the bit rate so low. I am not limited by bandwidth here just resolution.

I recognize this may be a niche situation but don't a lot of older devices have this limitation?  Anyway it would be nice to have a "default advanced play with subtitles" on client settings to force this trans-code or just a setting to "force trans-code on the device".

Also it would be nice to have a resume option if I need to use the advanced play method. This seems like it would be pretty easy to add. Cheers

We have new subtitle settings on the server to check out. Then once Android supports them I think you'll be very happy