Hauppauage tuners, Next PVR, Emby -best method?

Red5ive

Red5ive

@@arrbee99

I am in the UK and have an older windows HTPC with  Hauppauge tuners (2x WinTV Nova HD S2 and 1x Quad PCI DVBT).

I have read that the built in support for hauppauge cards in Emby relies on the wintv software to configure which is a bit flaky. I also would only be able to use the newer quad card.

As I understand it I could use NextPVR to configure all 6 sources and either use the plugin or with a bit of tinkering set it up as an IPTV tuner using m3u streams.

Also using nextPVR as the backend it could be used for Kodi.

From reading, if I use the plugin route I would then also need to setup guide data in NPVR, I couldn't use the guide data that Emby supplies yes? (would also need to run a schedule to keep the guide data fresh in Emby)

If I go with m3u streams I can just setup NPVR with the channel info and once imported can use emby guide data?  The downside of this is that Emby would not know if all tuners were busy etc while the plugin would. (though if all 6 tuners are working it would be rare to get failed recordings due to running out of tuners)

If possible I really don't want to have to pay and configure guide data elsewhere, especially as Emby includes it as part of the subscription.

A complication is that I am thinking of using Kodi as the front main front end on the HTPC (which is connected to the TV) as it is more customisable than Emby Theatre. I know that I can use Npvr as its backend and has PVR client plugins that can take a m3u stream but then I would be back to having to setup (and pay for) another guide source.

So...

Can someone confirm that if I use the plugin I would not be able to use the emby guide data?

Is there a way to export the emby guide date to use in NextPVR?

If I have to supply my own guide data and forgo Emby's what do people recommend (being in the UK)?

emveepee

The OTA UK guide is free pretty complete and from what I have read UK users are happy with it.  Certainly I consider being able to use Kodi for the PVR front end is the main reason to not use Emby for recording.  I would not use the m3u approach if Kodi is going to be your primary front end, because you still end up having to configure your guide and recordings in NextPVR.

Martin

arrbee99

As just an ordinary user, not sure what to add really.

As you've noticed each has its pluses and minuses. Personally I find the NextPVR v5 beta and its associated Emby v5 plugin work well, though I only have one single tuner card and the OTA guide (in New Zealand) works well.

You can use NextPVR in Kodi as well, as noted, though if you use the Emby for Kodi plugin don't think the Emby TV stuff and guide talks to Kodi at all.

If NextPVR updates its guide at say 10pm daily you just need to get Emby to update its guide from that at say 10.20.

I've tried the url method you mentioned using an xml guide and it worked, tried the built in Emby Hauppauge WinTV method, tried using Mediaportal, they all worked but always seem to end up back at the NPVR / plugin way.

emveepee

Another thought on this topic is if you are thinking of Kodi as your front end why do you even need an Emby subscription?

Martin

Red5ive

Another thought on this topic is if you are thinking of Kodi as your front end why do you even need an Emby subscription?

Martin

Still want to be able to stream to our other devices such as Roku sticks, tablets etc and for the general media management. Just was not that blown away with emby theater on the main HTPC as that's connected to our main screen in the living room.

Red5ive

So I setup channels on just the Quad DVBT card in NPVR and then installed the Npvr plugin in Emby.

Under Emby TV sources there was no entry for NPVR under type, is that normal?

I added Emby Guide data for my region under TV Guide data providers anyway even though I did not have a source.

I checked under plugins and made sure the plugin was setup ok before hitting the guide refresh button.

I then went into the guide and was pleased to see guide data there, but only for the next 7 days. Flipping over to NPVR I could see that under channels it had an epg source of 'DVB/ATSC EPG' which I am guessing is the over the air data and that what Emby was using rather than its own source of listings, is that correct?

Another question about the plugin, if i set a program to record is that handled by Emby or NextPVR? i.e. would the recordings appear in NextPVR's upcoming/recurring/conflicts areas as well as emby?

If so and I then setup Kodi and its NPVR plugin would I see the recordings set by emby in that? Could you flip between emby and kodi to view and set recordings and NextPVR is the one keeping track of them?

emveepee

NextPVR setup is under Plugins not Live TV unless you use the m3u interface which is kind of IPTV.  

NextPVR recordings are managed by NextPVR even when you make them with Emby.   Streams for  the m3u interface are consider live tv to NextPVR those won't show up in Kodi.  You'd be best not to do any scheduling in Kodi or NextPVR because then Emby can't manage the tuner availability.

You won't see any of Emby tuner (including m3u) recordings, schedules, guide data etc in Kodi via NextPVR it is a one way interface.  Same for recording resume points, NextPVR will sync these with its s Kodi, Android, Apple and PC clients but not Emby.

Martin