Recommended Deinterlacing settings (Live TV)

lightsout

lightsout

Is there a best approach here? My server has a GTX 1050ti. Client is an Nvidia Shield, I see an option to allow the server to deinterlace. Trying to figure out what is recommended.

Thanks

I think letting your TV handle this is best so turn it off for faster load times.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

lightsout

Yeah I have the Shield doing it, turned it off a while ago on the server as it was a little more laggy. @@Sammy I am not even sure you can let the TV do it. I'll mess with it later.

These are my server settings. I let the GPU decode but the GTS 1060 6GB encode on the fly. I have de-interlacing turned off and allow for time-shifting on my ShieldTV. With the exception of a 6 second or so start time and the known pause at the start of playback, LiveTV is smooth as silk for me with CC's.

4ac01c38bac16e6528470f13da860fb2.jpg

Edited by Sammy

lightsout

Why do you uncheck mpeg2? I think if I tell the shield to deinterlace, then that setting won't melee a different in the server.

I still want the GPU to handle other mpeg2 content. Not that I have much at all but still.

I basically have it setup like you Sammy. Seems to work the best. I was just curious if there was a better way. New TV and wanting cable to look as good as it can.

Guest asrequested

So why aren't you letting it deinterlace in the app? I'm not understanding why you're forcing it to transcode in the server, instead.

Why do you uncheck mpeg2? I think if I tell the shield to deinterlace, then that setting won't melee a different in the server.

I still want the GPU to handle other mpeg2 content. Not that I have much at all but still.

I basically have it setup like you Sammy. Seems to work the best. I was just curious if there was a better way. New TV and wanting cable to look as good as it can.

Allowing H/W Acell for MPEG2TS in Emby breaks Closed Captions for me. My PQ is pretty darn good with no aliasing, blocking or anything like that. I'm satisfied with it. I don't think I have any other MPEG2TS content.

So why aren't you letting it deinterlace in the app? I'm not understanding why you're forcing it to transcode in the server, instead.

Transcoding to repackage LiveTV is necessary in Emby for time shifting the live stream in Emby. If Emby could do it using direct play I would use it.

Edited by Sammy

lightsout

I don't think anyone is doing that. We both have "deinterlacev on the server" unchecked. But like he said you don't want to direct play.

Guest asrequested

I just let the app deinterlace it, and direct play. But I haven't tried that in while. Now I'm curious. I'll have to see what that's like, now.

Edited by Doofus

lightsout

I just let the app deinterlace it, and direct play. But I haven't tried that in while. Now I'm curious. I'll have to see what that's like, now.

I don't know about the difference in quality between the server and the app as far as deinterlacing is concerned. But time shifting is a must so direct play is a no go.

With the settings I shared and de-interlacing turned off on my ShieldTV's I get great PQ.

Other than the 8 to 10 second wait when starting a stream or channel change (which is technically starting a new stream) and very occasionally audio drop out I have no issues.

I remember some funky things with WMC like if you ffwd, rwd or pause a live stream too many times it would totally lock up.

Emby has really done a great job especially considering the resources they have available to them.

Edited by Sammy

lightsout

and very occasionally audio drop out I have no issues.

I notice this myself and it is fairly consistent. Not sure why or where it happens, but it seems to be every few minutes or so. I agree Emby has done a great job

and overall I am very pleased with the DVR experience.

Both the issues that I indicated above are known to the Developers and they're trying to fix them.

lightsout

Both the issues that I indicated above are known to the Developers and they're trying to fix them.

Sweet.

Not that they'll be successful in fixing it mind you. But at least they're aware of it.

lightsout

Not that they'll be successful in fixing it mind you. But at least they're aware of it.

For sure. I got over the slow loads. I'm used to it now and it's gotten better. But the dropouts I'd love to see fixed.
  • Like 1

For sure. I got over the slow loads. I'm used to it now and it's gotten better. But the dropouts I'd love to see fixed.

So it's not just me then.. I'm noticing that load time has cut in half recently but am not sure why. @@ebr @@Luke any changes here? Thanks.

lightsout

So it's not just me then.. I'm noticing that load time has cut in half recently but am not sure why. @@ebr @@Luke any changes here? Thanks.

I don't want to say recently. ( I spoke too soon took like 15 seconds earlier) But compared to when I had first tried it out.

Could have been my settings back then though, assuming direct play is always best.

Edited by lightsout