Proportional font(?) issue in live tv guide

BillOatman
Go to solution Solved by BillOatman,

BillOatman

Hi:  I am trying to add some useful content to the guide data description dialog for a app I wrote.  This is what the data looks like in the xmltv file:

<programme start="20191011230000" stop="20191012020000" channel="NHL Florida Panthers">
    <title>Florida Panthers(1-2-0) at Buffalo Sabres(3-0-1)</title>
    <desc>Florida Panthers(1-2-0) at Buffalo Sabres(3-0-1) in KeyBank Center
                         Buffalo Sabres          Florida Panthers     
Division Rank:                  1                        7            
Conference Rank:                2                       13            
Goals For:                     18                        9            
Goals Against:                 11                       14            </desc>
    <category>Sports</category>
    <category>Hockey</category>
    <language>en</language>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">20199458035040542482726213.4.0/1</episode-num>
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">SP20199913.0004</episode-num>
    <live />
  </programme>

Note how the columns line up nice and pretty.  There seems to be 2 issues when the data gets displayed (web player and shield ... images are from the shield).

1) The first time going to the dialog after starting live TV, it looks like this (pardon the hand held pictures, but even since the last shield upgrade, taking a screenshot hangs my shield) :

5da4880829f06_FirstTime.jpg

It looks like it is trying to center the lines of text for some reason. It only does this on the first time after starting live tv.  Every first time after starting live TV, no matter what game I choose.

2) After the first time, they look like this:

5da4888545c4f_AllOtherTimes.jpg

Much better, and left justifies the text correctly.  But the columns are a mess.  I suspect a proportional font is being used and I am using spaces to align everything.  I see no way to change the font.  I tried using tab characters (\t) but they appeared as '\t' in the dialog.  

How would I either change to a non proportional font, or get the dialog to honor the tab character?

Thanks!

Edited by BillOatman

• Solution
BillOatman

I don't think what you are trying to do can be trusted to work across all platforms.

Honoring tabs is how it's usually done.  But if that isn't an option, you are probably correct.  I'll have to see if I can come up with a different way to present the data, or live with it being ugly.

But the first time in centering every line might be able to be addressed @@Luke?

Thanks!

Edited by BillOatman