Changing to 60 hrz makes Emby playback suck.

Lorties

So, I change the hrz to 60 and GUI and playback stutters. I play the same video in VLC and all is well. What flippin gives this time? Its a Geforce 720 and GTX1080 on Win 10 Pro.

Happy2Play

I do not see how anyone can compare a browsers video player to VLC.  But technically if you have this issue in a browser is it not the browsers issue and not Emby's?

You will need to provide the Server log and if there is a ffmpeg log for the specific example.

Hey Happy2play did you nominate and deem yours as the best answer? Is there any other Emby choice for playback on PCs?

"I do not see how anyone can compare a browsers video player to VLC.  But technically if you have this issue in a browser is it not the browsers issue and not Emby's?

You will need to provide the Server log and if there is a ffmpeg log for the specific example."

That's about as helpful as going to the doctor and saying" Hey my arm hurts when I lift it up"  Doctor says: "Well then stop lifting it up".  Either way the product I paid for should work and currently it does not.  

hi there @@Lorties, browser video players cannot be compared to Vlc because they are very limited, both in terms of supported media formats, as well as capabilities. There is no ability in the web browser to interact with the screen refresh rate mechanism.

For a more advanced option on Windows, I would suggest checking out our Emby Theater app:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

This app has a much more robust video player that is comparable to Vlc and supports more advanced features.

If you read the original post I mentioned that the Emby GUI is also affected. I used VLC to eliminate the video file as the problem. 

Thanks, I am using the Emby Theater app for PC. 

Happy2Play

Can you explain the GUI issue as that has nothing to do with playback stutter.

Yes, the GUI is glitchy....... staggers then catches up. The video reacts the same or similar. I will try to capture video of it and post. I took my nicer card out for testing purposes but will try .......

Happy2Play

Example one 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieelOoOAUhU&feature=youtu.be

Example two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajCJsyGsId4&feature=youtu.be

gathering log info however the Program and Video plays fine at 29 MHZ

That is the Theater app, does the same happen in the web client?

nmkaufman

Try decreasing your resolution (temporarily) and see if it still happens.

On all of my computers but one, the theater app exhibits this behavior in 4k, but works perfectly in 1080P.

I just realized the computer that doesn't exhibit this behavior is connected to a 1080P television.

Edited by nmkaufman

Guest asrequested

That sounds like GPU/driver/scaling shenanigans. I run everything at 4k 59Hz, and it's nice and smooth.

Ooo, but also maybe electron shenanigans. You guys are running the latest Theater release, correct?

nmkaufman

I've had the 4k UI issues since forever (i've been using Emby almost 2 years now) and I did enough research to know it was 'normal' and it had something to do with electron.

I primarily use emby theater in my livingroom with a 1080P TV, tho, so I never spent time looking for a solution. I just use embycon/Kodi on my 4K computer.

nmkaufman

I could play around with it when I get home and see.

I think OP's problems and my own are related, because my playback also returns to normal speed/cadence once the UI hides.

If I can find any combination of scaling overrides that works I will report back. Going to be a few hours or possibly tomorrow, though.

Edited by nmkaufman

nmkaufman

Yeah, so it looks like I spoke too soon.

Evidently it has been a while since I've tried using ET @ 4K60 and the problem I was describing has been fixed at some point.

Running ET 3.0.9

I've noticed ET is a bit more resource-hungry when playing videos compared to Kodi, but OP's system should be up for the task with a GTX1080.

I'm testing on a laptop with 4th Gen i7 and a GTX 870M, which is several orders of magnitude less powerful.

Edited by nmkaufman