Emby not transcoding high bitrate video despite very choppy playback

hedgehog90

hedgehog90

I like to watch blu-ray quality films on my TV via Emby, for which I always want a Direct Play, never transcoding.

My LAN connection can handle is 1Gbps, so it can easily handle a 40-50Mbps blu-ray quality film, and my devie can handle any encodings... so in this scenario there is never any need to transcode.

However, with this in mind, if I try to watch the same high quality film on my phone, for some reason it doesn't transcode to a more manageable bitrate when I'd expect it to. It tries to stream the high bitrate film over a 10-20Mbps wifi connection, which leads to much stuttering and buffering.

I assumed the Emby Client and Server would be intelligent enough to detect the network connection limits without any manual settings and transcode for it accordingly, as I recall reading somewhere on this forum earlier.

Am I expected to set the User's 'Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps)' in order to prompt a transcode?

Given that internet connections on phones and other wifi devices can variate considerably, this setting doesn't seem appropriate.

Theres a quality setting when I play the video in the Emby Adnroid app, which I can set to different bitrates, but again, I'd expect 'Auto' to transcode it to  a lower quality if the network can't handle it.

Rather, I'd like my Emby Server - like most streaming services - to deliver the highest quality possible for my phone automatically, without stuttering.

Edited by hedgehog90

Hi there, yes we are always looking at improving our automatic quality features. In the event it does not select an appropriate value, you can always use the in-app quality settings to select a more suitable one. Thanks.