two issues regarding transcoding that need to be fixed.

zyfinity
Go to solution Solved by zyfinity,

zyfinity

Ok, here it is all the logs from different tests consisting of, 1080p HEVC, 1080p HEVC 10bit, 4k HEVC and 1080p H.264 transcoding

For all of the tests it seems that hw accelerated decoding and encoding didnt work even though it tried selecting it in the logs.

Screenshot of what i had selected is attatched.

All four FFMPEG logs are attatched.

Hardware detection log is attatched.

@@softworkz

post-330453-0-58723700-1569715222_thumb.png

hardware_detection-63705358506.txt

ffmpeg log 1.txt

ffmpeg log 2.txt

ffmpeg log 3.txt

ffmpeg log 4 (h264).txt

Edited by zyfinity

zyfinity

Hi, yes it's definetly a problem with how emby is managing it and seems like a fairly simple fix, i also saw others on the forum having similar issues and same as a few of my friends.

Any progress?

Could you please try using the QuickSync H264 encoder instead of the AMF encoder?

Probably, the problem is caused by the combination of QuickSync and AMF.

The following combinations should work:

• QuickSync Decoder and QuickSync Encoder
  • DX11VA Decoder and AMF encoder

zyfinity

The latest update of emby beta fixed decoding for all formats except HEVC for intel quicksync, please add support for this as the hardware is definetly capable! 

The latest update of emby beta fixed decoding for all formats except HEVC for intel quicksync, please add support for this as the hardware is definetly capable!

I don't know what happened because we haven't change anything from the previous beta to the latest beta.

I assume, what you really want to say is that you have switched from 4.2.1 release to 4.3.x beta, right?

As for the QuickSync HEVC decoding, please look what I've written before:

Could you please try using the QuickSync H264 encoder instead of the AMF encoder?

Probably, the problem is caused by the combination of QuickSync and AMF.

The following combinations should work:

• QuickSync Decoder and QuickSync Encoder
  • DX11VA Decoder and AMF encoder

What that means in turn is that the combination QuickSync Decoder >> AMF Encoder does NOT work.

Currently we're unable to disable the combination QuickSync >> AMF from our side, so you need to handle that by appropriate configuration.

I hope we'll be able to do this automatically in the future.

Edited by softworkz

zyfinity

Hi, you have misunderstood completely, im not using that configuration i only did that to prove something else, i can't use quick sync AT ALL in any configuration i've tried EVERYTHING (QuickSync >> Quicksync) (Quicksync >> Software) etc and none of them want to decode HEVC even though the hardware DEFINETLY supports it! And above i was refferring to the latest beta patch note called "quicksync fixes" although HEVC still does not decode, Yes the monitor cable is plugged in, and i tried it again today with two different pc's, i have also attatched plenty of logs above and have tested it in handbrake, plex and jellyfin and they all support it and emby uses FFMPEG underneath aswell so it should do aswell, what this also shows is that it's a problem with how emby is handling it! 

Sorry but i've been really pissed off trying to get this working in emby.

Edited by zyfinity

I'm afraid, but I can only talk about the logs that you have posted.

Those were all showing a combination of QuickSync and AMF.

zyfinity

I have attatched all the logs you might need and tried numerous combinations (see the log names for which config i used) 

Yes the monitor was plugged in.

and no d3d was not enabled but the other two options for quicksync were.

@@softworkz

hardware_detection-63705810172.txt

ffmpeg log only qs enabled for decode.txt

qs encode and decode enabled ffmpeg log.txt

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg log only quicksync enabled for endoding and nothing for decoding.txt

Thanks for the log files and please take my apologies for the bad experience.

You've actually been the victim of 3 different issues:

1. Emby should prevent the use of any hw decoder except DXVA/DX11VA
    Affects: Release + Beta
    => Status: Unresolved
  2. 10bit color conversion issues in certain configurations 
    Affects: Release + Beta
    => Status: Unresolved
  3. QuickSync initialization (regression bug)
    Affects: Beta only
    => Status: Fixed

What you've already noticed is the fix of #3

#1 can be worked around by configuration

#2 will need some major rework on our side - but it's already being worked on!

Your best option for transcoding 10bit HEVC video is to disable HEVC hardware decoders.

Encoding is the heavy-work part in transcoding anyway, so it's most important to have the encoding accelerated.

Be sure to use this together with throttling activated (otherwise you'll see high cpu load).

Thanks for your patience!

Edited by softworkz

zyfinity

Ok so your telling me that decoding support is going to be available after emby finishes working on it? this also includes amd decoding right? as i've got another server pc that would benefit from this!

Ok so your telling me that decoding support is going to be available after emby finishes working on it? this also includes amd decoding right? as i've got another server pc that would benefit from this!

AMD hw decoding should work right now for all supported codecs including HEVC - just not HEVC 10bit.

zyfinity

Yes i can confirm that, but most of my content is 10bit so i hope that can start working soon as the hardware supports it.

Using 10bit videos is a bad choice - unless you got a 10bit display.

When Emby does transcoding it will always be converted to h264/8bit.

So, even when we'll have our problem fixed - the conversion that we can do will never be equal to the 8 bit versions released by the studios.

People tend to think that 10bit is better than 8 bit because 10 is greater than 8, but that's a misconception in this case.

Viewing 10bit content on 8bit displays doesn't make any sense.

zyfinity

Most of my 10bit content is sourced from 8bit but is at 10bit for the aditional space savings, that is why when i transcode fully on plex (decode and encode) it looks perfectly fine although i don't like plex for other reasons and want to continue using emby!

zyfinity
"10-bit-depth like on x264/x265 is more efficient and can save like 10%-20% file size more and also it reduces compression artifacts like color banding

sure the original discs like BluRay are not encoded in 10-bit-depth but they are uncompressed or lossless compression while x264 is usually use as lossy compression meaning redundant/repeated data are remove to reduce more the file size but it will lose some visual quality especially introducing compression artifacts like color banding too the more you lessen the file size/bitrate more so 10-bit-depth x264 with its efficiency somehow compensates on that

you do not need a 10-bit-depth display monitor just to play this files either"

That's the explanation i've seen very frequently 

"10-bit-depth like on x264/x265 is more efficient and can save like 10%-20% file size more and also it reduces compression artifacts like color banding

sure the original discs like BluRay are not encoded in 10-bit-depth but they are uncompressed or lossless compression while x264 is usually use as lossy compression meaning redundant/repeated data are remove to reduce more the file size but it will lose some visual quality especially introducing compression artifacts like color banding too the more you lessen the file size/bitrate more so 10-bit-depth x264 with its efficiency somehow compensates on that

you do not need a 10-bit-depth display monitor just to play this files either"

That's the explanation i've seen very frequently 

I'm afraid, that's incorrect in so many ways - I don't even know where to start.

zyfinity

Well anyway's my content that i do want transcoded looks perfectly fine when using something like plex where decoding and encoding is both done on the gpu so having emby "loose quality" is fine as it's so minimal that my self and many others don't notice.

It's fine to convert to HEVC, but you should convert to HEVC-8bit instead. You will get better results and smaller files.