Diagnosing corrupted files

RedSocks157

RedSocks157

Exactly as the title says: I was considering switching from Plex to Emby, and installed Emby to try it out. Now, between my TV Shows and Movies folders, I have 474 corrupted files - skipping, malformed headers, and all sorts of other things I don't really understand because the tool I'm using to scan for them doesn't give very good explanations. The files are pretty much unwatchable. Many of these were from friends or family, meaning I can't get the discs back to re-rip them very easily, which is the only solution I've found so far. MVKToolsnix can't fix them, Meteorite can fix some issues but the dropped/"lost" (what VLC calls them) frames remain.

What the hell?

mastrmind11

what the hell indeed.  Emby just scans for metadata and does't modify the physical media file.  You've got something else going on here, most likely a hdd corruption.  The only time Emby does anything that could potentially output a broken file is if you choose to transcode/download the original file, in which case the transcode is temporary and is deleted when the media stops playing, or is a downloaded copy that can be removed manually from wherever your downloaded it.  so again, not emby.

RedSocks157

The only change made to the server was Emby. I've checked the file system witch fsck/e2fsck, the RAID5 array is clean, and SMART tests show all drives to be completely healthy. The corruption is too widespread for it to have come from a read/write problem - I can't imagine why 400+ media files (so far) were being used all at once. It couldn't have resulted from power failure, I've had Plex running for years without a single corrupted file. Some of the rips were 5+ years old, I've had them since college, and now they are suddenly unplayable and the only change was adding Emby to the server. It's simple troubleshooting here...when you eliminate everything else, whatever remains must be the answer.

Edited by RedSocks157

RedSocks157

If there's any data I can provide that might help get to the bottom of this, where do I find it? The files all show their original creation dates, but the bitrates are all screwed up in every broken file. If emby never modifies anything, then I have no idea what program could have screwed up so many files so quickly. Hardware issues have already been ruled out and I can't think of anything that could touch so many files so quickly and break them like this.

Q-Droid

Original dates on the files are a good sign that Emby didn't modify them. Playback logs or ffprobe might show some useful info but neither will show what really happened, just their current state.

RedSocks157

The modified dates are also normal...ffprobe shows that lots of headers are a mess. I'm also getting errors in mkvtools about resyncs and timestamps. VLC shows lots of dropped/lost frames. I've been using a program I got from the Plex forums to scan for the corrupted/broken files. This is the github for that: https://github.com/HaveAGitGat/HBBatchBeast/releases

I don't mean to come in all fire and brimstone here. But this is easily hundreds of dollars worth of media that I really can't afford to replace...

Edit: the error the guy in this post is getting is very similar to what I've been experiencing, except he's using Kodi: https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/bfw9aw/corrupted_mkv_how_to_detect/ https://i.imgur.com/CF5l9xt.png

Edited by RedSocks157

RedSocks157

Here's an error message example for MKVtools:

-- Warnings emitted by job 'Multiplexing to file "4x01 30 Days Without An Accident-1 (1).mkv" in directory "R:\Broken files"' started on 2019-09-24 12:13:04 ---

R:\Broken files\4x01 30 Days Without An Accident-1.mkv: Error in the Matroska file structure at position 16262034. Resyncing to the next level 1 element.

Resyncing successful at position 30435745.

The first cluster timestamp after the resync is 00:00:13.847000000.

R:\Broken files\4x01 30 Days Without An Accident-1.mkv: Error in the Matroska file structure at position 16262034. Resyncing to the next level 1 element.

The last timestamp processed before the error was encountered was 00:00:06.548000000.

Resyncing successful at position 30435745.

The first cluster timestamp after the resync is 00:00:13.847000000.

R:\Broken files\4x01 30 Days Without An Accident-1.mkv: Error in the Matroska file structure at position 93875959. Resyncing to the next level 1 element.

It will go on like this for ages. The muxing did complete, but the new file works exactly the same as the old one. MKVtools shows 409 warnings and 1 error. I'm not even sure what this means honestly...I've had some of these files for years and never had a single problem. Many of them were written a VERY long time ago. It doesn't make sense that they played last week, last month ect and now there's suddenly tons of problems that are internal to the files themselves.

mastrmind11

Have you tried moving a couple of them to a different device to see if they exhibit the same behavior?  Worst case just restore from backup?