Multi-version TV Show - Any way to try to match Play Next version?

Losey

Yesterday I started playing with multi-version movies. Merged my 3D movies with their non-3D listings and all that. Beautiful results. Even merged my Star Wars collection so I have the original and special editions under the same listing. Glorious! My Godzilla collection? Only a small annoyance with it mishandling the "Godzilla (1994) - 1995 English" version, so I renamed it to just "Godzilla (1994) - English", and that works fine.

Then I got to my anime... And something strange occurred. While merging my Digimon English and Japanese collection, I noted that both copies are identical in resolution (albeit a dramatically different bitrate), framerate, and stereo audio. I go to check the results... First episode working good, both versions. I jump to the second episode. Wait a tic. I try it again, this time making sure I start with the Japanese version of episode 1 playing before the jump... Episode 2 plays English. Problem. This means I have to manually select the version between episodes. I also noticed that metadata is being generated for both versions of the episode, even though only one ends up being displayed. It'd be nice if the alternate metadata displayed when its matching version is selected, but that's a trivial aside.

So I do a search to see if there's any topics on the issue... Nearest I can find is this thread, which really isn't near at all. The way it looks, it would appear that I'll have to either edit the series' default language in its metadata to whatever I want to watch for the run (I haven't really tested this out yet, but I had it blank initially and was getting the first episode defaulting to Japanese and the rest to English, and after setting the series language to English it all seems to default to English fine now), or split the show up again into two separate entries, one English and the other Japanese. On reflection, I could also make a playlist; I'll give that a try later.

That all said, I'd like to inquire about the possibility that this might be an unintended behavior, or perhaps the basis for a potential future feature: if you select a version of a TV Show episode, can Emby check for and attempt to match the next episode's version with it, and failing that just play the next episode's default version? Please advise.

Hi, the selection of default is based on the version that is the most efficient at the time of playback based on all possible server and app settings. It's not based on language. More control over this is possible for the future. Thanks.

Hi, the selection of default is based on the version that is the most efficient at the time of playback based on all possible server and app settings. It's not based on language. More control over this is possible for the future. Thanks.

Thanks!

Edit: On that note, I tested making a playlist, and in line with what Luke said, it ignored the version of the episode I selected and played the default one. Looks like my only option for the present is to have them separate.

Edited by Losey