DVD Playback Blocky and Generally Poor

robcf

robcf

Hi All,

This is my first post, I hope you can help!

Problem:

Playback of uncompressed DVD rips is very poor, the image is blocky and pixilated. Audio is OK. This is a global problem with my collection (stored on a readynas), other file types do not appear to have this issue.

Additionally, images of the DVD rips is not stored, however, all the other metadata is available. 

Machine:

i3 NUC

Windows 7 install

LAV filters installed

Win7DSFilterTweaker

I thought the issue is Codec related, for this reason I tried disabling the Media Foundation using Win7DSFilterTweaker but there was no improvement. I also tried changing the MPEG2 preferred Codec from MERIT to LAV, same for h.264, also no change.

One final observation; media browser displays the file extension 'h.264' above 'MPEG2' on the Movies screen for all DVD rips. 

Thank you in advance, looking forward to your help!

Rob

Sounds to me like your DVD rips have not been recognized properly by the server and/or you don't have them setup with either UNC paths or path substitutions that allow the MBC machine to access them.

Please post an MBC log from when you play one of these.

robcf

Hi ebr,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Regarding UNC paths, I have included in text format the media location for the videos. Would a UNC issue effect a DVD rip, however, have no impact on a different file type? As I mentioned in my original problem statement this issue appears to only effect DVD rips 

Server log

MBC Log

Media location:

Folder type: Movies

Media Locations

\\server_ip\Videos\Movies

eg \\server_ip\Videos\Movies\Year One (2009)\.................

Thanks again, looking forward to your response!

Rob

No, that was just conjecture based on the information you had provided.

Looking at the log, our playback process looks fine.  Any issues have to be with the source or codecs.

robcf

Thanks ebr. 

Would it be helpful if I provided video data?? Any suggestion to rule out codecs?

Thanks,

Rob 

Try getting rid of the filter tweaker and just go with straight LAV.

robcf

I reset the filter tweaker so that all video decoder settings were Microsoft.......no improvement. I also selected LAV as the video decoder and disabled media foundation, also no improvement. I don't believe the filter tweaked can be removed since it is simply an executable file rather than a program.

I will rip a dvd to the NUC and see if there is an improvement. This will eliminate the server and previous rip quality (although they are uncompressed DVD Rips).

Any other suggestions??