Restructuring media collection

mastrmind11

mastrmind11

When I started my collection of movies I just dumped them to a single /movies folder.  As time went on, I started putting them in /Movie (Year) folders.  Now it's ugly and annoying.  I can script the conversion pretty easily but I'm wondering whether Emby will treat them as new movies (clutter my latest, remove watched status, etc) if I do this.  Lemme know.

They will be new items in the database, yes, but if you have nfo files then your date added will be preserved and it won't affect latest lists.

Happy2Play

If you do not have metadata with the media then yes emby will treat everything as new as the info only reside in the database and renaming removes, then re-adds the item to the database with a new itemid.  Existing metadata with media will alway be read if present.

As for watched status it is tracked by providerids so only items without externalid will loose watched status.

Edited by Happy2Play

mastrmind11

great.  just so i'm 100%, if i have trakt setup AND move the metadata, nothing UI related will change with these things?

Happy2Play

I know nothing about trakt, I have xml files with my media and can move media where ever I like and Emby reads the existing metadata when re-adding the media (xml metadata plugin in my case).  Nfo metadata is the same.

mastrmind11

I know nothing about trakt, I have xml files with my media and can move media where ever I like and Emby reads the existing metadata when re-adding the media (xml metadata plugin in my case).  Nfo metadata is the same.

ok cool, i have nfo metadata so i'll go for it.  thanks for the info.

edit:  did it yesterday and it worked out nicely.  thanks for the info, all.

Edited by mastrmind11