Hardware transcoding not working on Intel CPU

snitchy

daldana

@@softworkz

I tried the latest beta, 4.4.0.10, and I get different results but unfortunately hardware acceleration still doesn't work on mpeg2 files (logs attached). Also, when I play h264 files, it shows as direct playing so I don't have any ffmpeg logs. Let me know what else you need.

ffmpeg-transcode-b95e4b67-7efc-4c30-833e-786c77e8e397_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-71e63608-a81e-4742-a092-55c67a86d2af_1.txt

daldana

Yes I did and I tried multiple combinations of decoders and encoders. The only way I could get Live TV to play was to use the Quicksync Intel HD Graphics - MPEG-2 decoder with the Quicksync Intel HD Graphics - D3D11 - H.264 (AVC) encoder. That combo got me software acceleration, but at least I got the video to play.

Yes I did and I tried multiple combinations of decoders and encoders. The only way I could get Live TV to play was to use the Quicksync Intel HD Graphics - MPEG-2 decoder with the Quicksync Intel HD Graphics - D3D11 - H.264 (AVC) encoder. That combo got me software acceleration, but at least I got the video to play.

I don't understand what you mean by "software acceleration". Could you please post a log?

Could you please also try QuickSync D3D11 decoder +  QuickSync D3D11 encoder and post a log?

Wait - was that your case where the user connected via remote desktop and no QuickSync was working anymore, not even D3D11 ??

nmkaufman

Try attaching a monitor (or HDMI emulator dongle) and logging into the machine locally, or using Chrome Remote desktop (rather than windows RDP) and trying again.

RDP creates a virtual graphics card, so the intel graphics (and HW acceleration) are no longer active.

I have to use the same trick to use Nvidia Gamestream from my headless server.

RDP disables the Nvidia graphics entirely, until I log back in either locally or using a non-RDP remote desktop solution.

daldana

@@softworkz,

I shouldn't have used the phrase software acceleration, I meant software encoding. Attached is the log using D3D11 for both decoder and encoder, the video took about three minutes to start. I was doing the tests directly on the server, no RDP. The attached log is from monitoring the server with a web browser, again no RDP.

nmkaufman,

I have a monitor attached to the server and am able to get hardware acceleration from the stable server. I didn't use RDP for any of the recent tests.

ffmpeg-transcode-3bd0cbad-8948-43d4-af6d-1f1856bda6de_1.txt

• Like 1

Thanks for the log. That's really unexpected because it cannot even create the D3D11 device.

Would you mind trying a few things?

You would need to install the Diagnostics plugin first: https://mediabrowser.github.io/Emby.DiagnosticsPlugin/

• Then reboot
  • Wait 1 min until hw detection is completed
  • In the diagnostic options page, choose log-level "verbose"
  • Retry the same as above (on both sides QuickSync D3D11) and check whether the same error occurs
  • If yes, please post the hw detection log and the ffmpeg log
  • (I want to make sure that nothing happens between the detection and the failure)

Second Test

• In the Diagnostic options, activate "use legacy command building"
    (if the same error occurs, no need to post logs)

Third Test

• Deactivate legacy command building
  • Activate "disable scaling" and retry

Thanks

I think you can stop...

I just realized that your Intel drivers are too old to support D3D11 at all.

What's your Widndows version and your hardware (CPU)?

daldana

I guess my question is why can I get hardware acceleration on the stable server with the non D3D11 decoders/encoders.

pwhodges

Recent betas have introduced big improvements for acceleration on Intel cpus, I believe.

Paul

I guess my question is why can I get hardware acceleration on the stable server with the non D3D11 decoders/encoders.

The beta includes an ffmpeg version which is built against a newer SDK version. It's possible that this causes problems with old driver versions.

Did you install the latest graphics driver from the Intel website?

Edited by softworkz

Your installed driver matches QuickSync SDK 1.11 - that had been released 6 years ago. The current version is 1.31.

• 2 weeks later...
daldana

Softworx,

Just an update, using the driver you suggested above and beta version 4.4.0.10 still did not get hardware acceleration, but 4.4.0.12 did it! Sorry, I didn't get to try .11 beforehand to see if it would work. Thanks for all of your help!

Dave