DVDSUB's forcing trancodes with DLNA playback

Harblar

Hi all.

I'm running into an issue with emby forcing transcodes of my DVD mkv rip's when subtitles are selected in an app prior to playing the file. For example, I typically use the iphone app or web interface to browse my collection, select a movie/episode, and then play it to my Oppo 203 disc player via DLNA. Being able to select the audio and subtitle tracks in the emby app before hitting play (and having emby remember those selection for subsequent viewings) is really handy, and I use it a lot for various Anime series that I would rather watch subs than dubs. Last night I was trying to play a DVD series I had ripped to mkv and emby kept transcoding it (poorly, at that, i might add, but that's a discussion for another thread). I experimented this afternoon and found that, as long as I didn't have a subtitle track selected in the app prior to playing the episode it direct played fine. Once it started direct playing I could use the controls on my Oppo to manually select the subtitle track and it continued direct playing with no issue (as it should since the Oppo fully supports all subtitles in MKV's).

Is this an emby issue, a dlna issue, or something else?

Hi, our default dlna profiles just aren't aware of Oppo capabilities, so that's why this is happening.

Fair enough, but how do I change the profile so that it IS aware? Do I just add the various supported subtitle formats to the video codec section for each container? Beyond that, I'm not sure where else I could change anything.