Selectively show contents of collections / hide collections

audio_elf

audio_elf

So I love collections... I love I can hide all my Marvel movies under MCU (and also under Captain America and under "Infinity Stones") collections; or all James Bond movies under another collection. These collections rightly need to hide the contents.

The one thing I would like to do as an extension to this, is to create collections which don't hide all the movies...

For example: I have a number of movies which were written by Alistair MacLean ... I want a collection (viewable from the Home page collections entry) which has Ice Station Zebra, Guns of Navarone, Fear is the Key, etc. in it; but for Ice Station Zebra, Guns of Navarone, Fear is the Key, etc. to also still appear in the Movies library as if they weren't in any collection (hope that make sense). Similarly I'd like to group all my Alfred Hitchcock movies, or movies with Sean Connery together; while the movies are still visible as normal.

Other people have used this function to do things like create a collection of Time Out's: Top 100 Sci-Fi movies or creating collections of 2019 Oscar Nominees.

In Plex (sorry to mention them - Emby is looking better overall) I can select "Hide items in this collection" or "Show items in this collection" on a collection by collection basis as well as setting a default for the library. Plex get it wrong though in showing in the Movies library any movie which is in a collection marked "Show" even if its also in a collection marked "Hide" ... the logic of why anyone would want this 

An alternative (or even better an addition) would be to have Directors; Actors and Writers sections which would automatically populate from the data in your library - but this would also need to be customisable as I wouldn't care for every actor or even every director to be listed only those I selected - for e.g. I might want to have listed Alfred Hitchcock; The Wachowskis; The Cohen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino but not be interested in Raja Gosnell or Breck Eisner movies.

I suspect the former request (hide/show items in collections) would be easier to implement ... but the Directors / Actors / Writers section (if customisable) would be great too.

I hope my description of what is wanted is clear. And I'm sorry if I've missed this as a previous request.