Group by Country

slyfox

GrimReaper
3 hours ago, chander421 said:

The tag thing is nice, but when you have thousands of movies and no way to bulk edit them, well...

There is a way to bulk-edit them. 

Psyborg
15 hours ago, Bigmack3000 said:

Tags are a nice tool, but yea only 30 movies helps a lot there.  I probably have over 1500.  

Emby should be reading the metadata for country, and then allow me to group them with that. Then let me select all within that group and tag all for the same country at once. 

The crazy thing is that Emby already stores these information in the metadata but is not using them in the UI. That's a great pity.

visproduction

Wow, that's a lot of sorting.  Sites like newegg allow sorting in the left column.  You select by checkbox and then click apply.  Amazon does it, as well, but I think newegg is stronger.  Left column sort seems like it would be user friendly but it sort of breaks the page.  If you do a pull out, then it's too hidden and most people won't notice it.  If the sort is first by genre country, then further divided, but how will the user click to sort further?

You could open a new sub-genre collection for film types, but that is another layer and confusing.  Hmmm, maybe an AI type of approach where you start a detailed search and you get multiple choice questions... click and apply.

Anyway, the question of how to get the user interface and experience correct is a tricky one.  I think it's better to figure that out before trying to create the feature.  I think you will end up with a nicer sorting feature.

Does anyone have a great design idea?

Edited by visproduction

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
hthgihwaymonk

I've had to create a script to solve this, it adds a language TAG to each film based on the Original Language of the film.

Group by country as a header menu option and sort/filter by country would also be excellent additions for Music Artists / Album Artists / Composers.

I am currently in the process of assigning generic tags for this to 1000s of artists and it works well, however I think Emby then uses this information for the auto-generated More Like This category that appears at the bottom of the respective pages.  In some instances the More LIke This recommendations then become irrelevant.

With the tag system that I'm creating and experimenting with, I am also assigning states for USA. This becomes meaningful with being able to search through Genres and my location tags to create a list of (say) Texas Blues Album Artists (Yes, I know I could also create a "Texas Blues" genre).

A downside of adding Country to the top menu would be the menu becoming crowded, but this could possibly be solved by allowing customisation of the top menu bar (I think this is already a separate feature request).