Major issues at wits end with Emby

Michael.D.Pine

Michael.D.Pine

Reboot the server and see if the tuners are still in use.

Rebooting my Emby server does not release tuners that is my experience anyway, I have restart the HDHomeRun device for the tuners to be released and in the previous log before I restarted the HDHomeRun device the IP Addresses was from my Emby Server running on the Windows 10 server.

I have been home today and so far after removing all access to the Emby Server from external and scheduling some recordinds, everything is working ok so far, recorded a program, it shows in the HDHomeRun logs when the recording finished as well.

For now as I didn't really use it remotely anyway I have revoked all external access, to the Emby Server for the ONE account I have.

I have gone through and removed all multiple series recordings and set the ones there to be all channels, all episodes. So I am expecting 3 programs to record tonight so I will be monitoring it over the new few days.

I have virus scanning on the Emby server and I have not got any virus alerts so far and the PC seems to be working completely normally and fine and I am not seeing any unexpected traffic going to or coming from the server.

Rebooting my Emby server does not release tuners that is my experience anyway,

If that is the case, then Emby is not the one holding your tuners open.

Do you have any Android boxes with the channels app installed and configured to use your HDHR?

troyhough

Do you have any Android boxes with the channels app installed and configured to use your HDHR?

This was an issue for me a while back with my Shield TV. I ended up disabling the app entirely.

Michael.D.Pine

If that is the case, then Emby is not the one holding your tuners open.

All I can tell is the request was coming from my server which has Emby on it and that is the IP address showing up, I have no other TV software on it, I removed it all including NextPVR, the only other thing I could do is blow the PC away and reinstall everything.

The minipc in the bedroom again Windows 10 with Emby Theatre is never used for Live TV just viewing the recordings, in fact we never really watch Live TV at all and there is nothing else set up for viewing. All the requests come from the 1 PC especially yesterday when I had the bedroom PC turned off

Everything still seems normal as of this morning, no Tuners in use according to the HDHomeRun software. Checking the logs everything seems normal from HDHomeRun side, I see errors when all 4 tuners were in use and then new recordings happening when the other recordings finished.

So at this point in time without any solid evidence I feel something externally was changing channels via the remote access.

troyhough

All I can tell is the request was coming from my server which has Emby on it and that is the IP address showing up, I have no other TV software on it, I removed it all including NextPVR, the only other thing I could do is blow the PC away and reinstall everything.

The minipc in the bedroom again Windows 10 with Emby Theatre is never used for Live TV just viewing the recordings, in fact we never really watch Live TV at all and there is nothing else set up for viewing. All the requests come from the 1 PC especially yesterday when I had the bedroom PC turned off

Everything still seems normal as of this morning, no Tuners in use according to the HDHomeRun software. Checking the logs everything seems normal from HDHomeRun side, I see errors when all 4 tuners were in use and then new recordings happening when the other recordings finished.

So at this point in time without any solid evidence I feel something externally was changing channels via the remote access.

Disable remote access and see if your issue goes away.

If rebooting Emby server doesn't release the tuners, it's 100% something else.

Michael.D.Pine

You obviously haven't read my previous posts but that what I said I have done and so far after coming home today everything seems ok and normal, no bad activity in the HDHomeRun logs.

So what do I do about remote access ? Just change the password of the user I have, is there something else I need to do to make sure no one can get onto the server ?

• 4 weeks later...
Michael.D.Pine

I really didn't see any suspicious activity, all requests of the HDHomeRun were coming from the PC and I really couldn't find anything in the Emby logs but maybe I just didn't know what to look for.

Well I didn't want to get ahead of myself, so I have waited a couple of weeks to get some feedback and ever since turning off remote access Emby has been working great, which is a real relief, my Wife's view is starting to get back to normal and she is happily recording and watching TV and no issues with ghost or unwanted recordings taking place, so everything is working at the moment.

@@cayars

@

So my question and not sure if this is the thread for it, how do I safely set myself up for remote access, I might not even worry about it, I don't really use it anyway but it would be nice to have the option there and not have to worry about the unwanted recordings happening again.

Guest asrequested

Well, 'safely' is a bit subjective. You can try anything from a VPN service to a reverse proxy. But the most safe is to not have any remote access. If you don't need it, don't use it.