Annoying Navigation Behavior

moviefan
Go to solution Solved by moviefan,

moviefan

When using shield I enter one of my collections and the first item in the collection is always highlighted.  Just above the items are the filters and then the view menu bar.

In my Movie Archive;  Movies, Suggestions, Favorites, Upcoming, Genres, and Folder are listed at the top for views.

If click up to get to that view menu bar first the filters are selected, which moves the selection all the way to the right side of the screen, under Folders.

When I click up again, Folders, is then selected., apparently because it's the next closest item.

I don't understand this behavior.  If I have selected a certain view I dont want it to always be reset back to the Folders view when I am trying to go up and change it.

And it constantly leads to me switching to folders view when I accidentally click up one too many while trying to reach filters.  So then I have to wait for the view to load, and click left five times to get back to where I just was.  Not a fan at all.

Is there any way to just have the cursor selection go up to the existing view when clicking up from the filters?

Is there any way to just have the cursor selection go up to the existing view when clicking up from the filters?

It should already be doing that.  There are some rare situations that seem to throw this for a loop but, in my experience, 99% of the time you should end up on the current tab. This is the same for you all the time?

By "collection" you mean a library, correct?

moviefan

Yes I mean library.

It does it every time in my main TV series library.  Pretty sure also Movie Archive.  I'll try to do some more testing and get more specific details.

Guest asrequested

Yeah, it's a real pain navigating around in a library. I just figured it was intended to function that way. It makes me want to throw the thing out of the window! 

Edited by Doofus

I think it may depend on which tab is your default.  I never seem to have this problem but I have seen it.  Basically we have to try to override the focus handling of the Android system to make this work how you want.  That works most of the time but not all.

This whole problem will go away with a future re-design of this navigation pattern so I don't really want to spend a lot more time trying to force the system to do something it doesn't want to.

moviefan

After some testing it seems that it only happens for me in my TV library.  That is the only one that has a "Folders" view.

Is there a way just to disable folders view and see if this fixes it?  I dont need this for anything.

moviefan

Can't you just avoid using the Folders tab?

I wish I could.  But every time I click up from the filters section it goes there and switches my view, as discussed above.

• 5 months later...
  • Solution
moviefan

Hey this is finally fixed in the new navigation since you moved the filter buttons to the side.  Woohoo!