Casting from Emby for android to Xbox one

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

I have been having problems with streams randomly closing themselves.

I start playing a piece of media by connecting my android app to the emby theater app running on xbox one (both apps are already signed in to the same server+user), then starting something from the android app.

The media begins to play, the notification shows up on the android device for remote control, all seems to be well.

While thats playing I'll often switch apps and multitask keeping the app connected in the background so I have easy remote control without having to wake the xbox controller all the time.

Around 10-20min after I put the android app in the background, the playback will stop altogether as if I pressed stop/'B' on the controller. No user interaction, it just stops entirely on its own.

Switching back to the android app; it still appears to be connected, the notification is still there, but play/pause does nothing, and trying to start the same media or something different also does nothing. I have to disconnect, then reconnect the android app to get the Xbox to respond.

Hi, does this happen if you just play from the xbox without using the android app? Did you swipe close the notification? because that will trigger a stop.

darkassassin07

Playing with the Xbox alone works just fine. It also works fine if I start playback via the remote android app, then disconnect the android app.

Playback only stops while the android app that started the playback is still connected and in the background of its respective device.

I never swipe closed the notification, it stays in the notification tray even while playback stops itself.

darkassassin07

I didn't report it until It had happened to me 4 or 5 times.

I've got a few days off comming up so I'll do some more testing and see if I can narrow down the circumstances a bit

darkassassin07

Alright: So I began playback of a 65min comedy special by turning on my xbox, starting the emby app and signing into my user leaving it on the homepage. I then opened the android app which was signed into the same user, connected to the Xbox app, then started playback from the android app. I then switched apps leaving the emby android app open and connected to the xbox in the background while I browse reddit/fb.

Around 46min into playback I hadnt touched any controls on either device (Asside from moving the stick on the xbox controller once, see post below) and hadn't reopened the emby app on android at all. I swiped open the notification tray on the android device and noticed the current playback position as reported by the notification was '5:36' and not counting up. I tried pressing pause and nothing happened. Same with all the other controls on the notification, it was completely unresponsive. I then clicked the background of the notification which brought the emby app to the foreground displaying the full remote control player.

Pause/play worked there, and the current playback position started very quickly counting up from '5:36' until it reached the accurate position (counting up at something like 10sec per sec) then began counting up properly.

I switched apps again putting emby in the background and roughly 60sec later the notification disappeared from my android device and the xbox stopped playback.

I restarted playback using the android app, which worked fine, however the notification did not return.

While media is still playing on the xbox, I disconnected the android app from the xbox, closed it by swiping it out of recent apps, then reopened it and reconnected. The notification returned and the rest of playback for that bit of media went smoothly.

Managed to finish that special, then started watching an epp of Two and a Half Men using the same method (start via the connected android app, put android app in background and ignore it). The notification hung at '5:18' this time. Same thing, completely unresponsive to the actual controlls, but I tapped the background of the notification opening the full app remote controls. The counter quickly counted up from '5:18' to the actual current playback time.

I switched apps putting emby in the background again, and around 60sec later, playback stopped on the xbox and the notification disappeared from the android device.

Emby for android 3.0.79 on Android 8.0.0

Emby Theater for Xbox One 1.1.263.70 on xbox os version 10.0.18362.6065

Emby server 4.2.1.0 on win 10 pro

Edited by darkassassin07

darkassassin07

As a small side note, I've noticed a problem with the new osd on xbox one.

Whenever playback starts, whether that was via the xbox controller or a remote emby app,

The osd is displayed at the beginning of playback, and will not fade until you move the controls at least once.

If I start playback remotely from my android app, I have to wake the xbox controller and move the stick to get the osd to fade away.

The osd is displayed at the beginning of playback, and will not fade until you move the controls at least once.

are you still seeing this now?

And as for the original issue, can you reproduce with other devices? For example, if you use remote control to play to the web app on a PC, does playback stop in the same type of fashion?

darkassassin07

The OSD not fading at the beginning of playback seems to be fixed, I'm not having issues with that anymore.

I am able to reproduce the playback stopping on it's own when casting from android to the web app running on chrome/Windows 10.

Once playback has stopped itself and I reopen the android app, the app is still connected to the remote device and starting playback immediately works.

The notification however disappears when playback stops itself and will not return until the android app is disconnected from the remote device and closed by removing it from recent apps. From there the android app can be reopened, reconnected to the remote device, and starting playback brings the notification back.

Guess I'm in the wrong sub for that, this seems to be an emby for android issue, not emby theater :/

/edit It seems I am still having issues with the osd not fading. It was fine for a while, but just now it didn't fade when I started playback using the xbox controller. I then stopped playback and restarted it using my android app connected remotely and again the osd did not fade out until I moved the stick on the controller.

Emby Theater for Xbox One 1.1.265.70

Edited by darkassassin07

darkassassin07

Using that version (3.0.82), the original issue does appear to be fixed. Playback nolonger stops without user input.

The only oddities I'm really seeing now when casting from android is the notification freezes up around the 5min mark as described above. I'll swipe open the notification tray and the current playback position reported by the notification will be incorrect and not moving at all. If you press pause or any of the other controls in the notification (while its frozen) nothing will happen immediately, but when you bring the app to the foreground the inputs you gave the notification will be processed.

After the notification has frozen up, you've reopened the app (which has unfrozen the notification), then you put the app in the background again; the notification will disappear after a few min, just like it did when playback was stoping. You then have to disconnect the android app from the remote device, close it, then reopen and reconnect to get the notification back.

Edited by darkassassin07