Prevent loosing Metadata when moving Files?

Dunuin

Hi,

I wanted to start tagging my home pictures/movies but I recognized that as soon as I move a file to another directory and do a rescan of the library, that media looses all the meta data previously added. That is quiet frustrating, because sooner or later I need to reorganize the files. Is it possible to configure emby to identify media by hash instead of just the path? Or to save tags, persons, ratings etc in addition to the db into a nfo/xml file thats in the same folder as the media, so the previous added tags etc survive if moving a file or directory?

Edited by Dunuin

Happy2Play

Have you enabled metadata saver: nfo in the library settings per library?  The only thing that will be lost on a move if you are writting nfo files is your watched status as the item will not have a providerid and the unique database id changes ever time the item is moved as the original item gets deleted then re-indexed. 

Yes, "nfo" is checked for every library. Is that option supposed to save a nfo file next to the media files? Thats not happening here. I thought that tells emby to write nfo files to the default nfo directory because I didn't set a custom "metadata path"  because I thought that folder will be shared by all libraries. 

Happy2Play

Yes, "nfo" is checked for every library. Is that option supposed to save a nfo file next to the media files? Thats not happening here. I thought that tells emby to write nfo files to the default nfo directory because I didn't set a custom "metadata path"  because I thought that folder will be shared by all libraries. 

The setting is suppose, if it isn't then there may be a permissions issue writing to those locations you will probably need to post a server log.  I would go to edit metadata on a item and hit save to see if anything is logged.

Hi.  Did you also check the option to save metadata in the media folders?  Do your media folders have nfo and image files in them?  If so, all of that will get picked up when you move it.