Best way to direct play HEVC in Windows 10

wondermouse
Go to solution Solved by videopalace,

wondermouse

Hi,

What is the best way of direct playing hevc content in Windows 10?

The emby theater client that can be downloaded from the website does direct play hevc, but it can't handle scaling in windows and looks absolutely awful. The emby theater client available in the Microsoft Store is more compatible with Windows but it does not direct play hevc.

The browsers I've tried (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) also trigger transcoding regardless of playback settings in the client.

The Plex clients I've tested do direct play hevc (same file), so I suspect I'm doing something wrong here, but can't figure out what.

Cheers

/Jacob

Guest asrequested

What did you try when using the Windows desktop app? I can probably get you fixed up. Some details of what you consider 'awful' and what your objective is, would be helpful.

• Solution
videopalace

In the Microsoft store there is an 'extension for HEVC' install this and Windows can handle this format.

• Like 3

wondermouse

Thanks for the quick replies!

After buying(!) the "HEVC for video extensions" the Emby theater app available from the Microsoft Store does direct play HEVC. So happy days, my problem is resolved :)

Microsoft's "HEVC for video extensions" can be purchased from the Microsoft Store here: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NMZLZ57R3T7

My issues with the Emby Theater app available to download from the website was mainly that it isn't compatible out of the box with Windows scaling, with everything that entails. I don't have it installed anymore so can't easily provide screenshots. Not sure if it was connected to the scaling but it did not seem to be able to run in full screen (I could see the desktop around the edges of the expanded window). Not a big issues when browsing the library, but simply not OK when viewing media.

To be fair I did not spend any time trying to fix these issues, but out of the box it simply didn't work well at all on Client 1.

-------

Server
Mac mini (Mid 2011)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB RAM
SSD OS drive
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13
Emby Server Version 4.2.1.0

Client 1
Surface Pro 4
Intel Core i5 6300U 2.4GHz
Intel HD 520 graphics
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 Version 1903 (Windows scaling set to 175%)
Emby Theater Version 1.1.262.0 installed from Microsoft Store
(Emby Theater version 3.0.9 from http://emby.media/emby-theater.html)

Client 2
Sony Xperia 1
Android 9 Pie
Emby Version 3.0.76

-------

Cheers

/Jacob

• 2 years later...
Turbofiero

Old post but relevant information

Paste this in your browser, click open & install it for free

ms-windows-store://pdp/?ProductId=9n4wgh0z6vhq