How do you auto sort TV recordings?

lightsout
Go to solution Solved by lightsout,

lightsout

Like many I have my tv recordings processed after they are recorded (mcebuddy). It drops them in a folder and I need an app that will then watch then folder and drop them in the proper season folder in my tv library.

I was using the Auto organize plugin but it often gets confused and sticks them back in the original DVR recordings folder not my library.

I tried something called TV rename but it has two limitations. 

1. It will only sort a file for a show you already have in your library, so anything new recorded takes additional steps.

2. It will only sort a show if you have the season folder in your library, so for every show you have its wants a season folder for every season even if they are empty. I don't like seasons showing in Emby/Kodi that I don't have any episodes for.

Anyone have something slick? I used to use sickbeard when I was into usenet. I think it can be used in this fashion but that seems like more than necessary.  

If you delete the series folder from your DVR library then auto organize shouldn't do that anymore.

lightsout

If you delete the series folder from your DVR library then auto organize shouldn't do that anymore.

But every time it records a new show it creates a new folder for the new recording. And the process starts over. More often than not it likes to place them in the original folder for some reason.

Right that means every-time you'd have to delete the series folder. It's not ideal but it would work.

Another option would be tto extend the AutoOrgnaize plugin with more options to pick the libraries you want to organize into.

lightsout

Right that means every-time you'd have to delete the series folder. It's not ideal but it would work.

Another option would be tto extend the AutoOrgnaize plugin with more options to pick the libraries you want to organize into.

You mean update the plugin? Wish I could but way beyond me.

Surely other people use other methods. I figured I'd get more options.

I think most people are probably not using a post processor so this doesn't apply to them. What are you having mc3buddy do? If it's just convert the file, you could consider letting Emby do that instead.

lightsout

I think most people are probably not using a post processor so this doesn't apply to them. What are you having mc3buddy do? If it's just convert the file, you could consider letting Emby do that instead.

It runs comskip to edit the commercials and then converts the files to h265 with NVENC.

I suppose I could just record to my main library and have mcebuddy find them there and replace the recording.

The reason I didn't do that in the past is because comskip isn't perfect and it's nice to have the original recordings just in case it chops something off.

• Solution
lightsout

So I was making this way more difficult than it needed to be. I pointed emby's dvr to my main TV library so that it records there. And I have mcebuddy monitoring that folder, doing its thing and then leaving the new file there, and archiving the orginal just in case something goes wrong. Thanks for the help Luke.