EMBY and VPN

videopalace

videopalace

Does anyone have experience with EMBY SERVER (Windows) running behind a VPN? Any instructions and/or tips?

Thanks in advance.

videopalace

@ what i want to achieve is that the whole server is behind the vpn EXCEPT Emby server. How should I set this? Please note, Monday I am going to change my Windows operating system from Windows 10 for workstation to Windows server 2016 by default, so any instructions would be welcome to set up the vpn in Windows server 2016.

Guest asrequested

I believe you would have to create a split tunnel. I have not looked at how to do that, but I'm sure they have a tutorial. They have a bunch of guides and you can always ask them, directly. Also, make sure the app will run on that OS. It should, but check first.

bitteronthefruit

You guys haven’t had issues with streaming quality over the VPN? It definitely is a much weaker Internet than what I have at the house and when I turn it off I get a much better streaming experience.

Gilgamesh_48

You guys haven’t had issues with streaming quality over the VPN? It definitely is a much weaker Internet than what I have at the house and when I turn it off I get a much better streaming experience.

None at all except when I try to do too much at once. Like if I video chat with my granddaughters in Japan and stream ESPN and transfer files from my remote TV recording computer all at the same time the connection to ESPN sometimes drops to just SD and/or there are breakups in my video chat.

All I have to do to fix the problem is stop the file transfer and everything pops back to normal.

Yes, my VPN slows down the internet some for me but if you start with good speeds it will not make a noticeable difference.

Guest asrequested

Just find a proxy with low latency.

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, zloy88 said:

Anyone have a working link for this guide? I am struggling to get emby working behind torguard. 

Hi, what problem exactly are you having?

Just now, Luke said:

Hi, what problem exactly are you having?

Can't connect to my server outside of the internal network when the torguard VPN is running. Works fine when I have it turned off. I have port forwarding set up in torguard, on my router, and can see the VPN IP when I have the VPN running but when I try emby connect or using the WAN address manually it times out. 

Hi,

If using a public VPN you usually need to get a special setup from the VPN provider.  You need to get them to reserve a port strictly for your use.  Normally they will give you a specific IP and port on a specific server you will need to connect to.  This way they are not blocking incoming ports and will forward that to you.

https://torguard.net/faq.php#:~:text=To open a port%2C login,it within the TG Client. 2nd Entry

aaa.thumb.png.9ee516113082148b4f7e4345d2e6602b.png

So Torguard does support this but you have to use an OpenVPN client (might be built into your home router).  Once you set that up you use the external IP they give you for your network setting and of course setup port forwarding (if OpenVPN is used in the router) and adjust Emby Server to match the port they give you.

We can assist you in this setup if needed.

WilhelmStroker
18 minutes ago, skidmarks said:

PIA

Very simple to set up split tunneling. 

Yup with their latest windows app it's extremely easy to set that up. That said, Emby seems to behave fine when being used behind a VPN, Plex really doesn't like it.

• Like 1

Yest but then Emby isn't running behind the VPN which is what he wants to do.

I don't know his circumstances but some people have to resort to using a VPN in order to get remote access to work as they are behind a cgNAT imposed by their ISP.  So by using a public VPN server that you can get a port forward you can use the VPN's external IP and port for Emby use.

Then if you experience problems with any meta providers (some block VPN IP addresses) you setup specific routes for these to bypass the VPN connection giving you the best of both worlds and it does by pass cgNAT.

Again not sure if that is why VPN is used by zloy88 but it's a pretty common use VPN with Emby for working around cgNAT.

10 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi,

If using a public VPN you usually need to get a special setup from the VPN provider.  You need to get them to reserve a port strictly for your use.  Normally they will give you a specific IP and port on a specific server you will need to connect to.  This way they are not blocking incoming ports and will forward that to you.

https://torguard.net/faq.php#:~:text=To open a port%2C login,it within the TG Client. 2nd Entry

aaa.thumb.png.9ee516113082148b4f7e4345d2e6602b.png

So Torguard does support this but you have to use an OpenVPN client (might be built into your home router).  Once you set that up you use the external IP they give you for your network setting and of course setup port forwarding (if OpenVPN is used in the router) and adjust Emby Server to match the port they give you.

We can assist you in this setup if needed.

9 hours ago, sooty234 said:

If you're using the TG client, have you configured your chosen IP?

https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=205

I appreciate the comments from everyone. I did set up port forwarding already with Torguard. I did not however manually set it up in the TG client which will now be my next step. I was relying on the client auto-configuring it like it stated it would. I have also considered splitting it and letting Emby run outside of the VPN but I was just hoping to keep it all behind the VPN. 

• Like 1