100% CPU usage on Linux Mint 4.2.1.0

chrispykreme

chrispykreme

Since upgrading to 4.2.1.0 at the beginning of August I have experienced 100% cpu usuage usually within a couple of minutes of starting Mint.

Initially I thought it was when I upgraded to Mint 19.2 but I have since downgraded to Mint 19.1 and have the same issue.

If I stop the server as soon as Mint starts (systemctl stop emby-server) I have little CPU, starting it caused the CPU to ramp to 100% at which point the machine freezes and will not respond.

If I start Mint with all of my external drives containing media disconnected this lengthens the time before it locks up.

I have also tried the beta 4.3.0.6 to see if it helps, it takes longer to max the CPU but it still does.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot the issue?

chrispykreme

Attached Logs from last time it crashed and I pulled the plug.

I rebooted without the hard drives and it was well behaved until I accidently click the DLNA icon and the CPU jumped to 100% and locked up the machine.

I will go back to the 4.2.1.0 version anyway.

embyserver-63702787169.txt

Hi, this is only a 7 second log. Can you please attach the log file from the time that the problem was experienced? Thanks.

chrispykreme

Hi, this is only a 7 second log. Can you please attach the log file from the time that the problem was experienced? Thanks.

Hi Luke

I've managed to track down the 2 issues causing the 100% CPU.

The first was the DLNA plugin - the clue for me was the last line in the log, removing this plugin greatly reduced the CPU load back to background levels.

But... the CPU still wound up to 100% and froze the machine, this time luckily I was on the admin page and could see the task being executed was update missing subtitles. I removed this scheduled task and CPU is now averaging 10%.

I won't miss either DLNA or Subtitles, but hope this helps in finding any issues

• 2 weeks later...
chrispykreme

I actually went another way and rebuilt the server using Linux Mint 19.2 Mate; reinstalled Emby and the problem has disappeared, CPU rarely goes over 10% so I think it could have been an issue with my machine and some botched kernel updates.

Thanks for taking look though