playing content from a folder with 2 or more videos

blumamba

blumamba

This is probably a stupid question but Im going to ask anyway.  There used to be a check box in mb that allowed you to set a number of videos from a single folder that would allow them to be played back in the order they were numbered in, as mymovie part1, mymove part2.  Did this get removed or am I missing something?  As I would like to leave some of the shorts in the folder to play first then have the main movie play.

Thanks

That was a really hokey setup.

We now support multi-part videos more explicitly.  See the KB article on library structure - specifically the section on multi-part items to see how to set them up.

blumamba

Ok. I checked it due to naming conventions changing ocassionally.  However as I previously stated, my naming convention, which apparently is the older one is somewhat still correct.  This does not concur with the KB article.  Here is why.

It instructs the user to name their movies:  Cars (2006) - part 1, Cars (2006) - part 2, etc

MB will not pick that up due to the "part 1" in the title.  It will pick it up under: Cars (2006), Cars (2006) - part 2 or Cars (2006) part2, etc

It however will not play the items consecutively in the order specified.  Which is what I want.  It gives you the generic poster without telling you which part it is and you must manually enter and play each item.  This is counterproductive, especially in movies like LOTR.  The old way which you consider hokey, at least played consecutively using the prescribed instructions listed in the KB and did not make you chose which you wanted to watch first.  That was done by the naming scheme.  Now with that said, here is my solution for the powers that be.  Reinstate the old way with the option for the new way.  Create a label for the user to identify which part of the displayed videos is the main movie (part 1/2) versus the shorts or "making of's".  MB should ask if it is a split movie and which "parts" are the main movie to help it establish the others are "extras" and list them accordingly.  Thus giving the user the option to chose to watch the "extras" or just the main movie.

Thanks

It however will not play the items consecutively in the order specified.  Which is what I want.  It gives you the generic poster without telling you which part...

Thanks

To what are you referring with 'it' above?  MBC, for example, will play the parts consecutively.

i believe it is happening because the first one doesn't have a filename ending in part 1

blumamba

I must be missing something then as they all have to be played manually.  Here is the onedrive link with a short video that will hopefully clear up any confusion.  Because I am thoroughly confused:)

http:/1drv.ms/TBF2sv

Thanks

Edited by blumamba

blumamba

Nope.  From my second post:

"It instructs the user to name their movies:  Cars (2006) - part 1, Cars (2006) - part 2, etc. MB will not pick that up due to the "part 1" in the title.  It will pick it up under: Cars (2006), Cars (2006) - part 2 or Cars (2006) part2, etc

It however will not play the items consecutively in the order specified.  Which is what I want.  It gives you the generic poster without telling you which part it is and you must manually enter and play each item.  This is counterproductive, especially in movies like LOTR.  The old way which you consider hokey, at least played consecutively using the prescribed instructions listed in the KB and did not make you chose which you wanted to watch first.  That was done by the naming scheme."

I tried these naming conventions and received these results:

Cars (2006) - Part1, Cars (2006) - Part2, = MB recognized only part one and did not include parts 2 or 3 in library and only played part 1.

Cars (2006) - Part 1, Cars (2006) - Part 2, etc = MB recognized only part one and did not include parts 2 or 3 in library and only played part 1.

Cars (2006) part1, Cars (2006) part 2, etc = MB recognized only part one and did not include parts 2 or 3 in library and only played part 1

Cars (2006), Cars (2006) - Part 2, etc =   MB recognized all parts and adds them to the library and will only play as shown in the video.

Cars (2006), Cars (2006) - Part2, etc = MB recognized all parts and adds them to the library and will only play as shown in the video.

Cars (2006), Cars (2006) part 2, etc = MB recognized all parts and adds them to the library and will only play as shown in the video.

So I have no idea why MB will not pick that up due to the "part 1" in the title.  I do have all the latest versions of the server/client too btw. 

Let me know what other information you need to help resolve this and I will get it to you, if I have it:)

Thanks

I can't tell from how you are writing them exactly what your folder structure is but I just created the following in my test area:

\Cars (2006)
\Cars (2006)\Cars (2006) Part 1.avi
\Cars (2006)\Cars (2006) Part 2.avi

All proper metadata was gathered and both parts were recognized.  Playing the movie in MBC resulted in both parts being played consecutively.

539711f2a4c99_multipart.png

Is that exactly how you have yours setup?

@@Luke on a semi-related note, I notice the web client is displaying the running time as that of only the first part.  MBC combines the runtimes of all parts for display:

539715309a162_multiparttime2.png

5397156162cf6_multiparttime.png

Yea i don't think clients should be responsible for piecing that information together though. That's actually i want to rework them to one virtual entry.

But i realized you have nothing to worry about in terms of loss of work - the current additional parts functionality will still be needed for multi-part folder rips as there will really be no way to virtualize those.

blumamba

It is working now?  I did rename, using a capitol P in Part and it worked.  So I have no idea why it wasn't before As I had it named the same as EBR only with out caps.  Thanks for your time.