Can't connect to emby on local network.

sbadie1

sbadie1

I am using ubuntu and I cant seem to connect on other devices to the emby server.  I can connect and watch directly on my computer hosting the server.  I have tried to follow https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

But it still doesnt seem to work and I keep getting the same error

this site cant be reached. address took to long to respond.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Currently trying to open in on my windows pc but would also like to use it on Nvidia shield and my phone ect. 

sargenthp

What error are you getting from other systems?  Are you connecting via a browser, or the Emby application on a device?

sbadie1

What error are you getting from other systems?  Are you connecting via a browser, or the Emby application on a device?

I am trying to connect to the server though firefox/chrome on my desktop. the error i am getting the the error stated in op

sbadie1

Additionally, I can't connect to using my phone either.

Not sure what I am doing wrong or why this is so complicated. I never had these issues with plex, but I decided to go with emby for the better hardware acceleration.

Anyone got any ideas?

chowbok

You positive you have the right IP? What does "ip addr" show when you run it on a terminal on the server? What URL are you going to on your desktop?

sargenthp

This site can't be reached. Address took to long to respond.

That sounds like a firewall issue. Check to see if the firewall is running. If it is try turning it off and try connecting.

systemctl stop firewalld

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

sbadie1

This site can't be reached. Address took to long to respond.

That sounds like a firewall issue. Check to see if the firewall is running. If it is try turning it off and try connecting.

systemctl stop firewalld

I am assuming you mean from the server correct? I turned it off for the windows desktop and that didn't work. Let me go and try turning off my servers firewall and I'll let you know.

sbadie1

Correct. Server side.

Ok I turned off the firewall on my server and now it works. But I of course want my server to have it's firewall up. How do I get it to work once I turn the firewall back on?

sargenthp

firewalld-cmd --permanent --add-port=8096

firewalld-cmd --reload

systemctl start firewalld

sbadie1

firewalld-cmd --reload

Is this on Ubuntu?

sbadie1

firewalld-cmd --reload

Ok I used

sudo ufw disable

Sudo ufw allow 8096/tcp

Sudo ufw enable

This worked for me.

Now what am I doing wrong with ezternal connections

sargenthp

That will require you to forward the port in your router to your server.

Outside you will be hitting the IP of your router and then you need to forward the port into your internal Emby server.

sbadie1

That will require you to forward the port in your router to your server.

Outside you will be hitting the IP of your router and then you need to forward the port into your internal Emby server.

When I get back home I'll let you know what I have done. I tried port forwarding. I am using CenturyLink router. Not sure if that matters.

sbadie1

So what I did to fix the issues I had with local network connections seems to have also fixed my issues with external connections. I have been able to watch my movies on my phone though 4g, and on another wifi.  So I am assuming that it should also work using my Nvidia shield when I am at work and off my local network. Or would I be mistaken in this assumption? I will be at work on monday so I will give it a shot and update you all. 

• Like 1

sargenthp

If you are outside if your house and on 4G or someone else's WiFi... Yeah. Should be good to go! [emoji106]