Television Episodes Labeled "Missing" (Symlinks to external drives)

vash265

vash265

Hello -

I've noticed this issue in the last couple of releases of emby-server for Linux, though I'm not sure how long it's existed.  I currently have two external drives with my content.  I point Emby to a directory on an internal drive that stores symlinks to the files on the external.  For example:

/home/media/television/Series Name/Episode 1.mkv -> /mnt/mediaDrive1/television/Series Name/Episode 1.mkv

/home/media/television/Series Name/Episode 2.mkv -> /mnt/mediaDrive2/television/Series Name/Episode 2.mkv

It seems that when I have a television series split across multiple external harddrives (as above), Emby produces a lot of erroneous "missing" labels for the series.  If I move all of the content for a specific show to a single external drive it seems to resolve the issue, but otherwise I can't get Emby to properly identify all of the episodes in the show.  

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks!

Edit - I should note that I'm using 4.2.1.0, and that it isn't a scraping issue.  All television episodes have the same format (whether they're labeled as missing in Emby or not) and adhere to the standard sXXeXX convention.

Second Edit - Probably also worth noting that Emby downloads the .nfo files correctly for each episode, so it's definitely *definitely* not a scraping issue.  

Edited by vash265

vash265

Hi there, are you able to play the files? Does this only happen with the sym linked files?

As far as I can determine it's only sym linked files, and only if the series is split across drives.

I've gotten one of the missing ones to play before, but currently can't.  If I try to play one of the missing files I just get a spinning green loading sign and nothing of note that I can see in the logs (I don't even see it trying to play the file).

vash265

Yea it's just something we're going to have to wait on. Thanks for the feedback.

I will say that it's completely inconsistent.  For example, I have season 3 of twin peaks stored on one harddrive, and seasons 1 and 2 stored on another.  Season 3 was added to the library first, and all episodes show up.  Seasons 1 and 2 were added more recently, and this is what the lineup for season 2 (for example) looks like: 

5d64520c7c09c_ScreenShot20190826at44039P

There's no discernable difference between any of the video files, and all of the nfo files for all of the episodes in season 2 are present (meaning they were scraped).  Is the behavior with .net just completely unpredictable or is there something else going on?

It is unpredictable. There is actually some support for symlinks, but it's not complete and they don't always get followed automatically depending on what file API's are being used.