Port Forwarding with UniFi setup

bitteronthefruit

bitteronthefruit

I've been using the emby app for about a month now and really like. I had never issues accessing the app over LTE, on road trips, other wifi's etc. Then I had a bunch of UniFI networking devices installed and all of a sudden I can only anything over my isp at the house but outside the house the Emby app can not connect to the Emby server.

My UniFi setup includes three access points, a security gateway and switch. I can access all of my settings over their app.

So in MORE > SETTINGS > GATEWAY SERVICES > PORT FORWARDING ... I have a port forward setup for my local ip.

Name: emBy

Enabled: YES

Port: 8096

Forward IP: 192.168.1.11

Forward Port: 192

Protocol: BOTH

It's not working. If I switch my iphone to LTE it gives me the same error message about not connecting to the emby server. So what is wrong here? For protocol I have BOTH but should it be TCP only? Also what is the difference between a PORT and FORWARD PORT? I guess I'm forwarding to 8096, right? So what is the regular non-forward port?

Guest asrequested

Well, according to what you've posted, you're forwarding the wrong port. And the IP you should use is what the LAN IP is on your dashboard.

pwhodges

You appear to be forwarding port 8096 to port 192 on your server.  it would be less confusing if you forwarded 8096 to 8096, for a start.

"Port" is the port you are trying to access from outside, i.e. the one you are specifying in your client; it's the port on the router.  "Forward Port" is the port the message will be forwarded to by the router on the machine with the "Forward IP".

Edited by pwhodges

bitteronthefruit

So when I go to localhost:8096 on my server I can pull up the Emby settings. It shows I'm running 4.2.1.0 and I can see my In-Home LAN Access which is 192.168.1.2:8096 and then is WAN which is my ISP ip :8096.

In my UniFi settings I have to confirm:

Port: 8096

Forward IP: 192.168.1.2

Forward Port: 8096

Protocol: BOTH

Again if I'm on wifi I can access the emBy library but if I'm on LTE it will not connect to server. It's strange because I also host Plex Media Server on this same localhost and nowhere in my UniFi settings am I port forwarding 32400 but Plex works perfectly over LTE. Unless I am running port forwarding settings elsewhere? I have tried to access 192.168.1.1 but it brings up the UniFi Security Gateway screen and not the router admin for Verizon. So I think that UniFi is using the Verizon modem as a bridge and all port forwarding, all connections, are controlled by UniFi.

If that is the case then Emby should see my settings in Unifi and see the port is open.

I can also confirm if I go to canyouseeme.org and using my isp ip address, I check both ports 8096 (emby) and 32400 (plex) and both say "Error: I could not see your service on {{isp-ip}} on port (8096)" and I guess this would tell me the PORT is not open? So I assume this means UniFi was not setup correctly and therefore it's ignoring the port forwarding rule? IT also tells me that the Plex port is forwarded some other way since it seems to work just fine. Unless Plex uses a different setup to connect?

I'll also say that I've tried installing AirVPN as an active service on the desktop service. I launched it and it changed the ip on the desktop server. I then went to AirVPN settings and added a port forwarding rule. I still could not access the server.

I have also checked my Firewall inbound rules on my desktop server and it shows that 8096 is checked green so it should bypass this. I don't think the issue relates to my firewall.

Edited by bitteronthefruit

bitteronthefruit

Normally I can connect to localhost:8096 but I can also connect to 192.168.1.2:8096

I actually just changed my IP to a static ip of 192.168.1.11 but the same applies. http://192.168.1.11:8096 pulls up the Emby dashboard or library.

I use Verizon FIOS

Guest asrequested

So you're connected directly from the Verizon router to the computer? And that new IP is what is showing in the server dashboard?

bitteronthefruit

no. I am using a Unifi setup to connect to the internet.

I am kind of giving up and paying to setup a DynDNS host to connect to the desktop server and I'll see if this helps.

Guest asrequested

So what might be happening is double NAT. Have you correctly configured your Verizon router? Or tried disabling it's firewall?

bitteronthefruit

Or you may need to put it in bridge mode.

I'm using my Verizon router as a bridge to the Unifi controller. So basically when I go to 192.168.1.1 I don't see a Verizon login, it's a login for the Unifi controller. So Unifi is controlling everything and in my current Unifi settings I am forwarding 8096 and 8920 (although I am not using a https connection). BUT when I go to https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and test the port against my current ip address it says, "Port 8096 is closed on YOUR IP ADDRESS"

This leads me to believe that the Unifi controller is not properly setup and it's firewall settings including port forwarding for 8096 and 8920 are being ignored?

Guest asrequested

I noticed you were using the mobile app to configure the controller. Some of the things I've tried doing that way, don't get applied. Anything like this, I'd suggest using the controller, directly. And don't bother forwarding 8920.

bitteronthefruit

Updating firmware on the unifi equipment? Not sure but I think recently.

Ubiquity is telling me that I need a USG security gateway router and not to use the Verizon router. They think that port forwarding is being handled through 192.168.1.1 and any port forwarding changes that I make outside of that Verizon router are being ignored.

I do think that the ISP is getting in the way. I’m going to check a few other things tonight.

Edited by bitteronthefruit

Happy2Play

If 192.168.1.1 gets to Unifi what ip takes you to your Verizon router?  But it sounds like a double nat as mentioned earlier.

chacawaca

you have set your port forwarding, but do you have open this port in the firewall too.In the "WAN IN" section ?

Edited by chacawaca
  • Like 1

bitteronthefruit

Currently I have a Verizon FiOS router obviously. I also purchased;

3 Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC pro

UniFi 8 port switch

Ubiquiti UC-CK UniFi Cloud Key

Ubiquiti USG UniFi Security gateway

bitteronthefruit

I guess I have a security gateway after all but for whatever reason it’s not recognizing the port forwarding settings set through the UniFi controller