Comcast and HDHomerun and Cablecard

RonK

I thought I would give you my experience with Comcast getting a Silicon Dust HD Homerun working with Emby. A while age I received some help trying to get an older model HD Homerun working in Emby with Verizon FIOS and we could not get it working entirely correctly. I had purchased a newer HD Homerun which would work with a cablecard and I gave that unit a try and it worked correctly in Verizon. Verizon decided to up my rate considerably and I decided to give Comcast a try. My past experience with Comcast would the clear QAM channels are encrypted and won't work with the HD Homerum. Because my newer HD Homerun could use a cablecard I thought I would give it a try.

I had everything set up with a laptop nearby when the installer arrived. He had experience with cablecards but not with using them in a HD Homerun. We installed the cablecard in the HD Homerun and he informed me he needed to get some numbers for the card and call them in to get it activated. I was able to connect to the HD Homerun setup using the laptop I had set up and one of the HD Homerun Cablecard screens gave us the numbers needed. The installer called the information in and after a short time the card showed that it was activated and authorized. I attempted to do a channel scan but I received error messages. I continued to try why the installer finished the rest of the installation. He couldn't offer any other help but agave me an 800 number for the Comcast cablecard support group.

I did not get around to retrying the cablecars until the following day and when a attempted a scan it work perfectly. I believe that even though the cablecard showed it was activated and authorized it takes a little while for the actual scan to work. I never did call the Comcast cablecars support so I don't know if they could have speeded up the process. If you install a cablecars in A HD homer the HD Homerun web installation will give you addition tabs for configuring the card and showing the status.

The unit is working perfectly in Emby. I do have a few channel guide issues but because they don't effect the channel I am interested in I haven't pursued it further.

• 3 weeks later...
mobilelawyer

I have a new interest in this topic. I have plugged my HD Homerun Prime back in and have activated a new cable card on it. I can play back DRM channels on the Windows HD Homerun app, and in the Android Live TV app. Should I expect to be able to watch DRM'ed channels on Emby? I am a Mediacom customer. 

I have not added the Prime yet as a tuner in Emby, because Emby is working so well with OTA channels, using my HD Homerun Quatro. Watching cable channels on Emby is not a big priority, but I might try it if other Mediacom customers using the HD Homerun Prime on Emby have had success. 

You are lucky.  Cabecard support for Spectrum full on sucks.

I get nearly all my channels copy freely. Those that I don't, there's an app for that. Back when I had HBO, et al, I could tune the East Coast Feed but not the West Coast Feed on most of these premium channels in Emby. Now I have SelectTV and DigiTiers 1 and 2 and have some DRM but not much.

I have a new interest in this topic. I have plugged my HD Homerun Prime back in and have activated a new cable card on it. I can play back DRM channels on the Windows HD Homerun app, and in the Android Live TV app. Should I expect to be able to watch DRM'ed channels on Emby? I am a Mediacom customer. 

I have not added the Prime yet as a tuner in Emby, because Emby is working so well with OTA channels, using my HD Homerun Quatro. Watching cable channels on Emby is not a big priority, but I might try it if other Mediacom customers using the HD Homerun Prime on Emby have had success. 

Go to my.hdhomerun.com (I just go to the Prime's local IP Address) and select Line up and do a channel scan. If it is marked DRM it is not tune-able in Emby. As a matter of fact, Emby won't even show them in the guide.

BillOatman

I get nearly all my channels copy freely. Those that I don't, there's an app for that. Back when I had HBO, et al, I could tune the East Coast Feed but not the West Coast Feed on most of these premium channels in Emby. Now I have SelectTV and DigiTiers 1 and 2 and have some DRM but not much.

With Spectrum?

Yup. Most everything is copy freely for me.

DYI and Sundance come to mind as only the SD feed is copy freely so I just use the app. There's a few others that I don't care about..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last time I reviewed the 'Select' pkg (NE SPECTRUM mkt) these channels were DRM'd:

CSPANHD, CSPN2HD, CSPN3HD, DYSTRHD, EWTNHD, INDIEHD, INSPHD, MC01, MC02, MC03, MC04, MC05, MC06, MC07, MC08, MC09, MC10, MC11, MC12, MC13, MC14, MC15, MC16, MC17, MC18, MC19, MC20, MC21, MC22, MC23, MC24, MC25, MC26, MC27, MC28, MC29, MC30, MC31, MC32, MC33, MC34, MC35, MC36, MC37, MC38, MC39, MC40, MC40, MC41, MC42, MC43, MC44, MC45, MC46, MC47, MC48, MC49, MC50, MPLEXHD, RETROHD, SUNDHD, TBNHD, SECAHD, SECH

I note that some are no longer offered as part of that pkg, but. are probably still restricted. YMMV

And, NO, Emby cannot tune DRM'd channels. I added these to a section of the ServerWMC config.xml so Emby never sees them.

Edited by d00zah

@@d00zah where did you get that list?  Wen I called, they told me almost everything was not copy freely.

The hard way... tuned each channel & checked the CCI flags. I doubt the 'phone droids' would have any reliable info. I have a Ceton ETH6 & each tuner displays that info in its webUI.

• Like 1

mobilelawyer

As luck would have it, a large number of the channels I regularly watch on Mediacom, other than the news channels, are DRM'ed. It took Silicon Dust several years to get any DRM support, but now we have partial support on Windows and Android  (for playback only).

DRM playback and recording support is promised on the new six tuner cable card dvr which is coming soon, but which is not yet available. 

I see DRM as nothing other than a continued effort to undermine the original Betamax case that gave home users the right to record broadcasts off the air, and I don't like it. 

With all the quality streaming available, I could stay satsified with OTA and streaming services but for sporting events during certain times of the year. And I must be able to record events that I would otherwise miss. And I do keep copies of football games recorded on my TiVo, which must bother the hell out of ESPN!

Edited by mobilelawyer

As luck would have it, a large number of the channels I regularly watch on Mediacom, other than the news channels, are DRM'ed. It took Silicon Dust several years to get any DRM support, but now we have partial support on Windows and Android  (for playback only).

DRM playback and recording support is promised on the new six tuner cable card dvr which is coming soon, but which is not yet available. 

I see DRM as nothing other than a continued effort to undermine the original Betamax case that gave home users the right to record broadcasts off the air, and I don't like it. 

With all the quality streaming available, I could stay satsified with OTA and streaming services but for sporting events during certain times of the year. And I must be able to record events that I would otherwise miss. And I do keep copies of football games recorded on my TiVo, which must bother the hell out of ESPN!

Nevertheless, Emby DVR won't support it, only SiliconDust assuming they ever do it. It's been four years now and nothing.

It's aimed at 'the masses'. MOST protected content can be had by anyone willing to do a little research, but why make it easy? 'Digital virtue signalling'?

Edited by d00zah
  • Like 1