"Server needs to be updated"

crusher11

crusher11

I was in the middle of watching something just now, and it suddenly stopped. Couldn't get it to restart. Switched off my TV, switched it back on, and got a 'select server' screen. Tried connecting to my server, but all I got was a "server needs to be updated" message. I'm running 4.2.1.0, which as far as I know is the latest version.

embyserver.txt

post-421990-0-84406200-1566502489_thumb.jpg

Ok, thanks for reporting. This is an erroneous message. In other words, there was an error somewhere that you should have been informed about, but it was the wrong one. You said you had just turned the TV back on, so my guess is that the TV network connection hadn't been fully restored yet and it was just a connection error. Thanks.

• Like 1

crusher11

I only switched the TV off and on in order to try and fix the issue of the server kicking me off in the first place, though.

• 1 year later...
mistere

I just go this same error on my iPhone when trying to connect locally. I also tried it with the wifi turned off on my phone and i can connect just fine. I am running server version 4.6.4 so it's current. I just got a new PC that I am setting up, I have all the ports forwarded etc. I'm not sure why I can't connect. 

Hi, If you use a PC on your network via WIFI does this work?

This is a good check to make sure your WIFI isn't isolated from your home network.

mistere

No it does not. I think its a machine setting but I'm not sure which one. When I first set it up I had local access and no remote access. Now I have no local and just remote. Another weird thing is that the LAN address for Emby is the same as the WAN address. IDK why this would be or how it happened. 

mistere

So I just tried to give my PC a static IP that was different from the WAN and I now seem to have local access but no remote access. This is just weird.

What IP (internal) is your router?
your Emby server?
your PC?

mistere
15 hours ago, Luke said:

The app needs local network permission. You may have inadvertently restricted this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211870

I’m on Windows 10. Not Mac anymore. I needed a GPU for transcoding so I got a new Alienware Aurora R10 with a Ryzen 5 5600X and GeForce RTX 3060. 

16 hours ago, cayars said:

What IP (internal) is your router?
your Emby server?
your PC?

The router is in access point mode but it’s IP is a 193.168.1.xx. The server and the PC somehow a 99.156.xxx.xxx number. If I put the router in wireless mode I get a PC and Server IP with a 192.168.1.xx number. It’s curious how when I tell the PC to have a dynamic IP it uses the one that is default for the WAN and I have remote access but if I give it a static 192 IP the Wan for the server doesn’t change but I have local access. 

Is that a typo or is the router internal side really 193.x and not 192.x ?

So you have a router, then an access point hanging off the router?

mistere

Lol oh yes it is a typo. It’s a 192.x. And yes my signal path is modem to router ( in access point mode) to PC. The modem has the port forwarded. I’ve got a switch that would bypass the router I’m gonna try this afternoon and see what happens. I will recheck this later to see if any ides have popped up that I can try also. 

Do you have any virtualization or VPN usage in play?

How is the server connected to the network? What is it's internal IP?
How about your test PC? What is it's internal IP?

mistere
22 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do you have any virtualization or VPN usage in play?

How is the server connected to the network? What is it's internal IP?
How about your test PC? What is it's internal IP?

No virtualization or VPN. My network signal/cable path is modem to router to PC. It is a hardwired connection for stability purposes. 
The internal IP of the PC matches the 99.x IP address when the IPv4 setting is on dynamic address. Which it shouldn’t be. And since the server lives on the PC 🤷‍♂️. I have always seen that the server LAN IP is that of the machine which has in my experience is a 192.x and the WAN is a 99.x number but never are they the same number. If I knew what caused this I might be able to fix it. Why would the internal network adapter in the PC use the WAN address of the server for its LAN address? It just doesn’t make sense that it would. 

Edited by mistere

If this is windows, open a command prompt (DOS) and post the results you get when you run:

ipconfig /all

mistere
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

If this is windows, open a command prompt (DOS) and post the results you get when you run:

ipconfig /all

Ok I will later once I get home from work. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mistere said:

I’m on Windows 10. Not Mac anymore.

Well you said iPhone, so what I mentioned is about connecting from an apple device.

mistere
58 minutes ago, Luke said:

Well you said iPhone, so what I mentioned is about connecting from an apple device.

Understood. And yes I have all of the settings on my phone are correct from my last server build. I have tried to access it from a web browser on my phone as well as the app but I get the results I have been previously sharing. 

mistere

Ok so I got this fixed. I ended up having to plug the PC directly into the modem and reset the mode. To factory which reset the Internal IP. Then I allocated the new IP in my modem so it wouldn’t change and then I forwarded the port and presto it works. Not sure why the other stuff was happening but I fixed it. Thank you guy for the help. 

• Like 1