Shield - audio drops / video stuttering

MoonPie2000

MoonPie2000

Several seconds after enabling live seeking (scenario 1) or tuning a channel (scenario 2) an audio drop happens followed by random audio drops / video stuttering. 

Scenario 1: Enable Direct stream live TV from Live TV settings menu and Enable live seeking when viewing channel

Scenario 2: Disable Direct stream live TV from Live TV settings menu

Logs will probably tell the tale but my guess is  your server is struggling with the transcoding.

MoonPie2000

I have done several days of testing with different clients (Plex, Emby) and different Emby versions on two different Android TV end points (Shield, Mecool).

Server Hardware/Software

OS Version:

FreeNAS-11.2-U5

(Build Date: Jun 24, 2019 18:41)

Processor:

Intel® Xeon® CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz (24 cores)

Memory:

96 GiB

HostName:
When using Plex server/client latest stable version I have no audio drops or video stutters when viewing live TV. When using Emby either latest stable or beta version server with latest stable client I have consistent issues when using either Android TV client. While ebr suggested that it was a server issue I would expect that if that were the case Plex should also exhibit the same type of issue. I have attached snippet of emby-server.log along with time of events.

emby.zip

I have done several days of testing with different clients (Plex, Emby) and different Emby versions on two different Android TV end points (Shield, Mecool).

Server Hardware/Software

OS Version:

FreeNAS-11.2-U5

(Build Date: Jun 24, 2019 18:41)

Processor:

Intel® Xeon® CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz (24 cores)

Memory:

96 GiB

HostName:
When using Plex server/client latest stable version I have no audio drops or video stutters when viewing live TV. When using Emby either latest stable or beta version server with latest stable client I have consistent issues when using either Android TV client. While ebr suggested that it was a server issue I would expect that if that were the case Plex should also exhibit the same type of issue. I have attached snippet of emby-server.log along with time of events.

Can you please attach the ffmpeg log as well? thanks.

MoonPie2000

Here are all ffmeg logs during the testing time frame. Also just so you are aware i created 3 rc.conf settings - user/group and data dir - Media,Media,/config respectively. I also created a symlink for /var/db/emby-server folder pointing to /config just in case. I am using FreeNAS as you an see and I have 4 mount points /media/movies, /media/series, /media/music and /config.

ffmpeg.zip

Edited by MoonPie2000

MoonPie2000

For what it is worth I have a Roku express and when I play live TV on it thru Emby it plays without any issues - no audio drops no video stutters.

For what it is worth I have a Roku express and when I play live TV on it thru Emby it plays without any issues - no audio drops no video stutters.

Do you have an ffmpeg log from that playback for comparison?

Thanks.

MoonPie2000

Here you go. At the first and towards the end the channel I tuned was weak and gave several 'loading' screens but that is not uncommon for that channel.

roku.zip

Edited by MoonPie2000

Here you go. At the first and towards the end the channel I tuned was weak and gave several 'loading' screens but that is not uncommon for that channel.

@@MoonPie2000 and you only see this happen on the Shield and not Roku?

@@MoonPie2000 and you only see this happen on the Shield and not Roku?

Actually, it sounds like the same thing is happening it just shows up differently...

At the first and towards the end the channel I tuned was weak and gave several 'loading' screens

MoonPie - this sounds like the behavior with a sketchy signal.  Is it just this channel?

MoonPie2000

I think you have misunderstood what I meant by my mention of loading error. I agree that this error was probable caused by a weak signal because I was not receiving a strong signal at the time I was tuned to the particular channel that was giving the loading error however I tuned in multiple channels to give you a cross section of logging.  On the other channels I did not receive this error. I just wanted you to be aware of the issue when going thru the logs in case it might affect your evaluations. I have included a brief summary of my testing methodology and what my observations have been so far. Hopefully this will further help your evaluations and if any explicit instructions are required in the future. I only have a a few weeks left on my premier subscription. I was planning to switch to Emby once this Live TV issue gets fixed. I really like Emby however this issue is a deal breaker for me. Thanks...

I have 3 end clients, Shield, Mecool (android TV), Roku. I have Plex and Emby agents on all three end clients. I have a HD Homerun device that broadcast my OTA signal to all my end clients and as expected occasionally the OTA signal reception varies on some channels. To insure that the tests  are not the result of a weak signal or hardware I compare both agents (Plex, Emby) on the same end client using the same channels. I use the Plex signal strength indicator, on the channel menu, to validate that the channel is at 100% signal strength.

Below are my observations when testing agents on the same channels for both agents and all channels have a constant 100% signal strength

Shield

Plex - no audio drops/video stutters

Emby - random audio drops/video stutters

Mecool

Emby - random audio drops/video stutters

Roku

Emby - no audio drops/video stutters

Edited by MoonPie2000

• 2 weeks later...
MoonPie2000

I am running beta server 4.3.0.8 and Android-TV client 1.7.50g and the issue seems to be a little better but still present. I cleared cache and uninstalled - installed client again to make sure there was no residual settings. I did an upgrade on the server from the previous beta. When I get a chance I will do a fresh install of the server beta in a FreeNAS jail.

Edited by MoonPie2000

I am running beta server 4.3.0.8 and Android-TV client 1.7.50g and the issue seems to be a little better but still present. I cleared cache and uninstalled - installed client again to make sure there was no residual settings. I did an upgrade on the server from the previous beta. When I get a chance I will do a fresh install of the server beta in a FreeNAS jail.

I would try testing this against the release server as well to see if we can isolate it to changes in the beta.

Thanks.