TV apps - Make movie/TV description easy readable

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

5d5d59ad9f134_Screenshot1.png

Could you please make the above movie/TVshow description (taken from Android TV):

1) Centered in the screen

2) With a bigger font size to make it easy readable to the eyes

3) With a scroll bar at the right in case the whole text doesn't fit the screen.

Thanks.

The font size is the standard size we use for descriptions everywhere. Why would this particular presentation use a different one? 

The reason it doesn't center right now is because the field actually animates into that larger presentation and a minimum of movement makes it easier to follow where you were.

The field already scrolls when it needs to.

Richard Branches

The font size is the standard size we use for descriptions everywhere. Why would this particular presentation use a different one?

It's too small, I don't have eyesight problems and I hardly read what it says.

If that's the case then you also cannot see anything on the previous screen.  Nothing has changed here.  We've been using these standard font sizes (sizes recommended for TV apps) since the app inception.

Richard Branches

If that's the case then you also cannot see anything on the previous screen.  Nothing has changed here.  We've been using these standard font sizes (sizes recommended for TV apps) since the app inception.

Yes, I understand what you mean, In the previous screen, the font size for the buttons for example have to be that way, they can't be bigger than that, but the movie description has nothing else than text, it's a huge space only for that, so why not take advantage of that huge space to make bigger and more easy to the eyes?.

Yes, I understand what you mean, In the previous screen, the font size for the buttons for example have to be that way, they can't be bigger than that, but the movie description has nothing else than text, it's a huge space only for that, so why not take advantage of that huge space to make bigger and more easy to the eyes?.

Well, again, because it is the same size it was on the previous screen so I don't know why we would use a different size in this presentation.

Of course, general settings for font sizes are possible in the future but not something we have right now.

Do you find that other apps like Netflix use bigger text? Or are all apps too small for you?

Richard Branches

Do you find that other apps like Netflix use bigger text? Or are all apps too small for you?

As far as I remember, the only apps I've seen that show the movie description in a separate screen are Plex and Emby, that's why I felt the need to request a larger font size for that large space.

Richard Branches

How does the text size on that other app compare?

I don't know, I don't use Plex anymore because I moved completely to Emby despite the lack of direct play of VobSub and Mpeg-4, but I remember seeing something similar, I will have to reinstall the server and the Android TV app to make the comparison.

Richard Branches

No it's ok, no need to do that. Thanks.

Too late. I don't remember very well the previous Plex interface, but the screenshots below are from the new one I didn't know until now and unlike Emby, where the description appears in a separate screen, now in Plex the move description appears in the same screen so I assume it's not possible to increase the font size, while on Emby it can be done without affecting the previous screen:

5d5ec555da7e6_Screenshot_20190821235924.

Image is smaller so can't be sure but their text is the same size if not a tiny bit smaller (I'm guessing the same size though).

I wonder if, when we expand to the full-screen if we increased the line spacing perhaps that would make it easier to read.  I can try that...

• 1 month later...
Richard Branches

It's nice to see that you centered the description horizontally, but it also needs to be vertically centered, all that wasted space at the bottom...

5d8aae87af1a4_Screenshot1.png

Richard Branches

A good idea could be to display a pop up box matching the size of the description, like the below example:

5d92b80abbe98_descrption.png

Edited by Richard Branches