Sharing Tuner

PuffyToesToo

PuffyToesToo

My BF just purchased an HDHomeRun and we would like to know if there is a way we can share the tuner. Specifically, we would like to be able to use it in both our servers excluding the use of Emby Connect. Thank you!

Edited by PuffyToesToo

BAlGaInTl

Are both servers on the same network?

I think that should work. I've run two instances Emby server sharing the same tuner.

BAlGaInTl

Out of network might be tricky though.

Agreed.  Probably doable, but I wouldn't advise it.  Much easier to get another HDHomerun in that case.

:)

You can try using the hdhr url which you'll need to expose over the internet.

It definitely used to work but given all of the work to support older hdhr models I'm not sure anymore.

• Like 1

pir8radio

@@pir8radio was doing this at one point.

Yea it sort of works...  but hdhr has a built in "feature" that makes this difficult. The hdhr has a hop limit set on the network, to try and prevent this...   You could use a VPN between your two networks and do it that way. 

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

Yea it sort of works...  but hdhr has a built in "feature" that makes this difficult. The hdhr has a hop limit set on the network, to try and prevent this...   You could use a VPN between your two networks and do it that way. 

This is probably what I would recommend.

In addition to being able to use the HDHR, you would also have a good layer of security.

If you just open up your tuner to the internet, I'm pretty sure that anybody could use it if they had the address.

• Like 1