Subtitle playback problem

raudraido

raudraido
Hi,

I have a container media file which has ASS subtitles in it. 

When I want to start this file thru Emby, it takes 5 minutes (with 100% disk activity) before start. Without subtitles enabled, it starts right away.

Other subtitle format works well.

Information about subtitle format.

ID                          : 6

Format                      : ASS

Codec ID                    : S_TEXT/ASS

Codec ID/Info               : Advanced Sub Station Alpha

Compression mode            : Lossless

Language                    : English

Default                     : No

Forced                      : No

raudraido

Hi,

Im running Emby ver 4.2.1.0 on windows 10 machine

Edited by raudraido

Did you customize any server transcoding settings? And/or the web app subtitle settings about burn subtitles?

Because this is burning in the subtitles, but usually we just extract them on the fly and play without transcoding.

raudraido

Did you customize any server transcoding settings?

Yes. 

I should mention that this problem occurs in Chrome web browser version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

No problem with Edge browser.

raudraido

Why did you do that?

Ok, I had an issue so subtitles was not showing on the screen, just tip of the text was shown on the bottom of the screen. So I tried every possible button to resolve this.

Now I chaged web app subtitle settings from Burn to auto, and media loads right away but I do not see subtitles anyway, they are probably off screen.

Edited by raudraido

Now I chaged web app subtitle settings from Burn to auto, and media loads right away but I do not see subtitles anyway, they are probably off screen.

No, more likely the extraction is not fast enough in your environment. That's the only downside of extracting them on the fly.

raudraido

No, more likely the extraction is not fast enough in your environment. That's the only downside of extracting them on the fly.

Ok, thank you. 

I see that other subtitles codecs works fine. So, I can insert other formats to mkv container to fix it.

BTW Is it possible to disable other users to choose "burn subtitles" setting?

I can insert other formats to mkv container to fix it.

Keep in mind that external subtitles will always be the most efficient.

BTW Is it possible to disable other users to choose "burn subtitles" setting?

No, but our goal is to eventually remove the setting anyway. It is a trade-off. We can render the ass/ssa styles in the browser by extracting them, which might not display perfectly, or you can burn them in with server transcoding where they will display perfectly. The goal is that if we can make the browser rendering perfect then we won't need to have the option anymore.

raudraido

No, but our goal is to eventually remove the setting anyway. It is a trade-off. We can render the ass/ssa styles in the browser by extracting them, which might not display perfectly, or you can burn them in with server transcoding where they will display perfectly. The goal is that if we can make the browser rendering perfect then we won't need to have the option anymore.

Ok, thank you for your help.