Custom ratings not being loaded.

waterman981

waterman981

I have edited my ratings file to have custom ratings in there for use in the parental rating.  When I updated to 4.2.1.0 those custom ratings, while still in the file, were no longer loaded.  I did revert back to 4.0.2.0 (I'm using the portable installer and running as a service) and they show up again.  Anyone else seeing this? 

Hi, those ratings are not being used in 4.1+, but hopefully we can make them configurable through the user interface in the future. what have you customized?

waterman981

Ah, I looked through the release notes for 4.2, but didn't look at 4.1.  I've added each of my kids names at the top of the ratings, and adjusted all the numbers accordingly.  So my youngest kid has a 1, then the next oldest 2, and so on.  That way I could change a movie to a 2, and those rated at 3 & 4 could still see it.

So would the way forward be using tags?  It looked like in 4.2 tags could be used as basically a whitelist where I would add each kid with their own whitelist tag, and put the tag for which kid(s) should be able to watch the program?  In an ongoing basis I think that would be the same amount of work as adjusting parental ratings on content as my kids mature.  The work for the switchover will suck.

You could do tags but what is wrong with the default parental ratings? They still have numbers assigned that you can use for comparison. The labels would just be regular rating labels rather than kids names.

waterman981

It replaces the existing rating better.  For example, 1969 True Grit is rated G.  Not really appropriate for my 2 year old.  So by moving Approved, G, E, EC, and TV-G to 5, I'm able to override all them.