shield crashes when first using emby after not for a little

pr3dict

• 4 weeks later...
pr3dict

What are the exact steps to take?

1. Turn TV on
  2. Wait for Shield to come out of shield (usually 3-5 seconds)
  3. Click on Emby application
  4. Click on a user
  5. Find content
  6. Click Play.
  7. Black screen...
  8. Emby shows the show/movie screen I was just on that has the description and action buttons (play, trailer, etc.)
    1. At this point the shield is unresponsive.
  9. About 20-30 sec later, the home screen of the shield appears.
  10. Do steps 3-6 again.
  11. Black screen with the circle spinning.
  12. Content plays...

I literally go through those steps every single day (multiple times) and have never seen that happen.  Whatever is happening for you is very different than most that have this issue though.

Can you please send a log from the app right at step 10 (right after logging back in after the crash)?

Thanks.

Thanks for the log.  I'm not really sure how what is happening is happening but at least I now know what it is.

pr3dict

No problem... I guess this is a step in the right direction. If you need me to like do anything else or give you more info let me know.

Hi.  Can you please post the server log that matches the app log you sent on Nov 7th at 7:58pm?

Thanks.

Okay, I need to fix it so the app handles this better but here is the root of your problem:

2019-11-07 19:56:35.767 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.2.1.0
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Unix 4.19.0.5
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Runtime: file:///opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
	SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Error: near "OFFSET": syntax error - select A.data,A.Id,A.EndDate,A.CommunityRating,A.IndexNumber,A.Name,A.PremiereDate,A.Overview,A.ParentIndexNumber,A.ProductionYear,A.OfficialRating,A.ForcedSortName,A.RunTimeTicks,A.guid,A.ParentId,A.IsVirtualItem,A.SeriesName,A.Album,A.AlbumId,A.SeriesId,A.Images,UserDatas.Rating,UserDatas.IsFavorite,UserDatas.Played,UserDatas.PlayCount,UserDatas.PlaybackPositionTicks,UserDatas.LastPlayedDateInt,UserDatas.AudioStreamIndex,UserDatas.SubtitleStreamIndex from MediaItems A left join UserDatas on A.UserDataKeyId=UserDatas.UserDataKeyId And (UserDatas.UserId=@UserId) where type=@[member="type"] AND ParentId=@ParentId AND IsVirtualItem=@IsVirtualItem AND SeriesPresentationUniqueKey=@SeriesPresentationUniqueKey Group by PresentationUniqueKey ORDER BY SortName collate NATURALSORT ASC OFFSET 1
	SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.
	   at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteDatabaseConnection.PrepareStatement(String sql, String& tail)
	   at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.PrepareStatement(IDatabaseConnection This, String sql)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.QueryItemsInTransaction[T](InternalItemsQuery query, IDatabaseConnection db, String[] columnsToSelect, Func`5 rowReaderFn, Boolean singleResult, String methodName)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.GetItemList(InternalItemsQuery query)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Series.GetSeasonEpisodes(Season parentSeason, InternalItemsQuery query)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Series.GetSeasonEpisodes(Season parentSeason, InternalItemsQuery query, BaseItem[] allSeriesEpisodes)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.GetItems(InternalItemsQuery query)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.UserLibrary.ItemsService.GetQueryResult(GetItems request, DtoOptions dtoOptions, User user)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.UserLibrary.ItemsService.GetItems(GetItems request)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.UserLibrary.ItemsService.Get(GetItems request)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.Execute(HttpListenerHost appHost, Object requestDto, IRequest req)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 host, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: SQLitePCL.pretty
	TargetSite: SQLitePCL.pretty.IStatement PrepareStatement(System.String, System.String ByRef)

Have you gone back and forth between beta and release versions of the server at some point?

pr3dict

Does that mean i left the waffles in the toaster too long?

I used to have so many issues because of multiple emby installs that were rebuilt but the server you are looking at now is on a fresh install of Debian. From my understanding I've never used the beta version of the server only the android client.

Okay, this may actually be a bug in the server because it looks like the "collate" phrase is getting inserted in the wrong place in SQL (between the sort order and direction).

However, I can't explain why you only experience the problem when you do...

• 4 weeks later...
pr3dict

Just want to update that this still happens but the app handles the crash a lot better since the last update. Before it would have a black screen and then the app would crash back to the shield home screen.

Now, it crashes back to the app and within a few seconds I can use the app again and choose to play the movie/show (which works the 2nd time, without an issue)

While not perfect, it's a ton better then before.

Just want to update that this still happens but the app handles the crash a lot better since the last update. Before it would have a black screen and then the app would crash back to the shield home screen.

Now, it crashes back to the app and within a few seconds I can use the app again and choose to play the movie/show (which works the 2nd time, without an issue)

While not perfect, it's a ton better then before.

In the app settings, have you configured any auto-login features?

Set to login screen... My user is set to not prompt for a password in network. 

What about the settings in the app itself?

pr3dict

In the app under startup it says "show login screen", prompt for password is not checked, and auto logoff is set for 30 minutes.