Thumbnail generation (Supported clients)

Hitsville
Go to solution Solved by samuelqwe,

Hitsville

Hey all.

Can someone tell me the latest on which clients support Video Preview thumbnails?

I know the Shield does. However I did see a very old post saying the Apple TV does them natively with mp4 files. But what about mkv files will generated thumbs show on the Apple TV? 

Thanks in advance. 

Gilgamesh_48

Hey all.

Can someone tell me the latest on which clients support Video Preview thumbnails?

I know the Shield does. However I did see a very old post saying the Apple TV does them natively with mp4 files. But what about mkv files will generated thumbs show on the Apple TV? 

Thanks in advance. 

On my Rokus, Fire TV and Shield TV the "Thumbnails" work fine on all playable video types. I do not know about any other clients but I strongly suspect that all Android based clients work well. Any clients outside of the Rokus and Android based are unknown quantities to me. Anything "Apple" is totally alien to me unless it is able to be eaten. ;) So I cannot help with "Apple" devices.

• Solution
samuelqwe

As Gilgamesh_48 pointed out, anything Android and Rokus have the Video Preview Thumbnails. The web player, the iPhone and iPad also have the thumbnails. I am unsure about any smart TVs or consoles. However, with the introduction of the new video player on Apple TV, the ability of viewing those preview thumbnails for any type of video (not even mp4) is now missing. I’m sure it’ll come back eventually, it just hasn’t been added back at this point in time.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

It still needs to be added to the smart TV apps. It's on our radar for the near future. 

I've always wondered why that phrase, "on our radar," is used to mean that something is under consideration or planed for the future. I have always associated "radar" with either targeting for weapons or warnings about upcoming disaster.

When a company says something is "on their radar" I wonder what the impending disaster is. B):lol:;):rolleyes:

Gilgamesh_48

It means we're going as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible.

I think that "might" be illegal in twelve southern states. ;):rolleyes::lol:

Hitsville

However, with the introduction of the new video player on Apple TV, the ability of viewing those preview thumbnails for any type of video (not even mp4) is now missing. I’m sure it’ll come back eventually, it just hasn’t been added back at this point in time.

Ah cool this is what threw me and explains why even the few very mp4 files I own never displayed them. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Edited by Hitsville