Emby tries to store cover in media folder

romankk
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

romankk

Hi,

I'm using version 4.2.0.40 on a QNAP system.

I've set Emby to specifically not store artwork in the media folder because I've mounted the media folder as read-only. So, my hope was that Emby would store the artwork somewhere else.

Unfortunately, when trying to upload a new image (or when selecting an existing image from TheMovieDb), I get an exception in the log, saying that Emby could not store the image file next to the movie file.

Example:

2019-08-07 16:57:38.400 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.2.0.40
	Command line: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata -ffdetect /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffprobe -defaultdirectory /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA -updatepackage emby-server-qnap_{version}_x86_64.qpkg -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Unix 4.2.8.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Runtime: file:///share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata
	Application directory: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/system
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/share/Multimedia2/Movies/EN/Comedy/Blithe Spirit (1945)/Blithe Spirit (1945).jpg' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at System.IO.FileSystem.DeleteFile(String fullPath)
	   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ImageSaver.SaveImage(BaseItem item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, Stream source, ReadOnlyMemory`1 mimeType, ImageType type, Nullable`1 imageIndex, Nullable`1 saveLocallyWithMedia, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.SaveImage(BaseItem item, String url, ImageType type, Nullable`1 imageIndex, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.RemoteImageService.DownloadRemoteImage(BaseItem item, BaseDownloadRemoteImage request)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 host, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.IO.FileSystem
	TargetSite: Void DeleteFile(System.String)
	InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
	Source: 
	TargetSite: 

So, the error and the error message is pretty clear to me. However, is there a way to ask Emby to store new images somewhere else?

I would rather not provide write access to my media folder.

Thanks,

Roman

post-495966-0-45507000-1565190017_thumb.png

Edited by romankk

romankk

It is probably worth mentioning that there is alread a picture by the target name, as is also mentioned in the log

2019-08-07 16:57:38.387 Info ProviderManager: Deleting previous image /share/Multimedia2/Movies/EN/Comedy/Blithe Spirit (1945)/Blithe Spirit (1945).jpg

• Solution

Images in media folders always get priority, so if you don't delete the existing image in your folder then the next library scan will just end up setting it back as your image.

That's why it is trying to delete the existing image.

• Like 1