56 replies to this topic

#21 TheShanMan OFFLINE  

TheShanMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Local time: 03:38 AM

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

Started happening to me today too. Restarting doesn't help, nor does rebooting. I'm running 3.0.6. Sounds like I need to wipe out that install and reinstall 3.0.6 again. Looking forward to hearing why this started happening to everyone today when it was working last night and I'm pretty sure nothing changed on the machine (ET, Emby Server, or Windows itself) between last night and now.

• freddyfinn likes this

#22 pgriffith OFFLINE  

pgriffith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM
  • LocationTasmania

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

Same here, got 2 machines and it's only happening on one of them, both are 3.08. running on Windows 8.1 (Media Center). Was working fine last night, machines run 24/7 but I closed Emby on both before I went to bed.

My main gaming PC has it installed but I don't really use it on there, is working as well on Windows 10.

Edit: Just noticed something, it's not entirely dead, I left it black for awhile and it started the slideshow, so it's still alive somewhat, of course touching the remote brings back the black screen. I can hear the beeps as I left/right with the remote too.

Edited by pgriffith, 07 August 2019 - 10:15 PM.

#23 justsomebody OFFLINE  

justsomebody

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 03:38 AM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:10 AM

Just chiming in with a "me too". All was well last night, suddenly today no bueno. Emby Theater desktop version 3.0.8, server 4.2.0.40, Windows 10, no changes made on my end. Restarted Theater/Server/PC multiple times. Would really prefer not to have to do a full uninstall/reinstall. 

#24 rikiwi OFFLINE  

rikiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:48 AM

Me too. What else can I add.

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146173 posts
  • Local time: 06:38 AM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:50 AM

Apologies, looking into it, but you should be able to avoid re-installing by just deleting this folder:

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron

#26 rikiwi OFFLINE  

rikiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:22 AM

Yes, that fixed the black screen.

Still have no UI overlay though.

Thanks Luke

#27 pgriffith OFFLINE  

pgriffith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM
  • LocationTasmania

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:32 AM

Apologies, looking into it, but you should be able to avoid re-installing by just deleting this folder:

Deleted that folder, still black.

Edit, Did fix it, just took a long time to start, and then presented me with the log in screen. I assume it was downloading Electron again.

Edited by pgriffith, 08 August 2019 - 03:35 AM.

#28 SHAH079012 OFFLINE  

SHAH079012

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 09:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:00 AM

same problem here, uninstalled (after unsuccessfull re-boot of emby and PC etc) uninstalled leaving current preferences in place (in case it deleted my very very extensive library that i have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on... and then when i try to re-install i keep getting a windows security message (no security or firewall is on at all) I am a lifetime gold member and have supported (paid) from the beginning and now I'm screwed

#29 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Local time: 09:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:01 AM

Deleted that folder, still black.
Edit, Did fix it, just took a long time to start, and then presented me with the log in screen. I assume it was downloading Electron again.
This worked for me

Edited by PrincessClevage, 08 August 2019 - 06:03 AM.

#30 Mike-G OFFLINE  

Mike-G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 AM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:11 AM

Me too.  Updated Windows. Updated graphics card drivers. Went through earlier threads on this: found the message in Windows event viewer, did the suggested registry edits, etc.  Those edits broke other stuff (I don't think I goofed the edits, but could be). Ultimately ended up having to restore my system disk from backup (fortunately I do nightly backups and have a spare bootable partition to make restores easy, just for situations like this). 

What resolved it was a uninstall-all-traces and reinstall of Emby Theater.

It's very strange that a number of us are seeing the same thing, about the same time, all seemingly spontaneously.  So I have to ask: Is Emby (or any of its components) downloading/using stuff from the internet/cloud behind the scenes as part of its functionality (not stuff like artwork, metadata). Maybe we were all affected by something that silently changed in internet-land?

Edited by Mike-G, 08 August 2019 - 06:18 AM.

#31 Trunk OFFLINE  

Trunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

Since ET is based on Electron and there was a release yesterday of Electron (https://electronjs.org/releases/stable). Maybe that is related. If Electron part of ET is auto-updating itself.

Guessing here but... a suspect here is Electron with a breaking change. :)

#32 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2473 posts
  • Local time: 07:38 PM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:13 AM

Deleting the electron folder fixed it for me.

IMPORTANT: don't forget to adjust ALL your ET settings again - for some reason they must be stored in that folder.

At least reset these: Video hardware acceleration mode, Audio speaker layout & Audio passthrough. 

#33 TonyAdamson OFFLINE  

TonyAdamson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 AM
  • LocationStockport

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

Just started happening for me tonight. Watched a film, closed emby, hour later started emby and black screen. Escape takes me to emby background with only the 3 windows icons in the top right.

#34 pmac OFFLINE  

pmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

I was having the same issue, and ended up noticing there were a bunch of files and folders within the electron folder that said they were last modified today (after my last attempt at loading ET), so I only deleted those files (not the entire electron folder) and everything seems to be working fine now.

#35 thewallace OFFLINE  

thewallace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:36 PM

I started getting the black screen last night too.

So I deleted the C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron folder. On starting ET I got a black screen for 5 seconds and then ET asked me log into my server with username/password.

All ok now, I'm back up.

#36 nickyrat OFFLINE  

nickyrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

I have the same issue. I had just installed an update for a driver, so I thought that was the problem. I spent a few hours rolling back drivers and doing a System Restore, with no luck. Decided to check the forums just in case...and viola, this forum post saved the day!

I deleted the electron folder, and now I'm back in business. It did take about 15 seconds of black screen before it popped up with the login screen. A few settings had been set back to default like the theme, and sound effects and stuff like that.

So, lesson learned...check the forum before spending hours on trying to fix it! :)

• AdrianW likes this

#37 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2473 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:59 AM

...and viola, 

5d4d7c33e5f0f_viola.jpg

:P  ;)

( Voila! )

I'm just thankful you didn't type "wallah", like I've seen on some forums.  :angry:

Edited by AdrianW, 09 August 2019 - 10:00 AM.

#38 nickyrat OFFLINE  

nickyrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

5d4d7c33e5f0f_viola.jpg

:P  ;)

( Voila! )

I'm just thankful you didn't type "wallah", like I've seen on some forums.  :angry:

Haha, punk...

I swear there was a movie or TV show where a guy pronounces voila as "vee-oh-lah" and I've done it ever since.

#39 Senna OFFLINE  

Senna

iOS - iPadOS - tvOS

• Members
  • 1213 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

Any updates on black screen @Luke ?

#40 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2473 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:31 PM

Any updates on black screen @Luke ?

You can get ET working again by deleting the folder mentioned in this post (above).

Only issue is you'll need to reconfigure any settings you'd altered on ET's setting screen. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Approved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users