Hi, New to Emby and about to trial it but have a few questions ..

aja07

aja07

!.  Can I run Emby side by side with Plex  ( just recently switched to Plex from WMC 7) and not 100% happy so am giving Emby a try - have heard good things)?

2. Can Emby and Plex share the same HD-Homeruns (if not all tuners are in use)?

3. If I need to trail the Windows Theatre I assume I need to buy a 1 month Premiere subscription before biting the bullet and buying Lifetime?

4. What is the best TV Guide to use for Australia?

Will leave it there for now, am sure I will more questions in due time but will try to find the answers in the Wiki and the Forums before posting here.

Thanks and regards,  Anthony  (Australia)

adamstewiegreen

I can answer 1 and 4

1.  Yes, I used them side by side for about 6 months and had no issues.

4. There are 2 guides that are good - depending what you're using it for.  And another that is terrible.

icetv.com.au is $3/month and is great for DVR scheduling.

http://www.xmltv.net/ is free and has a 99% complete guide but because of that 1% it's not suitable for DVR scheduling (recording a series or only missing episodes).  I didn't think it would be a problem but after a couple weeks of scheduling headaches (recording everything or nothing at all) I switched back to icetv.

freepg.tv but it's not even worth considering.

And in order to be complete, there is also this perl script: https://github.com/markcs/freeview_xmltv/blob/master/free_epg.pl which scrapes the epgs from some websites (xmltv gets it source from one of the scripts).

But the first 2 options are the easiest and most complete.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Few random thoughts - 

I believer people do run both side by side successfully (according to Reddit anyway) but never tried personally.

If your using Emby for your own media as well as Live TV I believe Emby likes its media a bit more organised than Plex, as you'll probably see from the naming rules in the Wiki. There's an option when setting up libraries (I think) to store metadata / images with the media itself, which I personally prefer.

No idea about Homeruns but imagine there's no problem unless you try to access at the same time.

Some people apparently use IceTV. Someone called Matt Huisman  https://www.matthuisman.nz/  scroll down to 'older posts' also provides a AU TV guide which I think you can use.

Think you need Premiere for any live tv.

Edited by arrbee99
  • Like 1

aja07

icetv.com.au is $3/month and is great for DVR scheduling.

Thanks Adam I am a member of IceTV, have used them for many years with WMC.  I presume EMBY uses the standard XMLTV feed as opposed to th PLEX XMLTV feed that Ice offers?

adamstewiegreen

Yes, use their standard xmltv. And arrbee90 is right about needing premier for live TV on Emby. In my experience it works far better than Plex's, which I struggled with constantly.

• Like 1

denz

I am user of Icetv probable for more than a decade and it is very easy to set up and forget. 

The ice tv has provided a guide to assist but if you have any issues there is always someone that will assist. 

https://support.icetv.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/360000174136-Setting-up-IceTV-XMLTV-in-Emby

The only issue I had and this could be only relevant for users in Western Australia is that I had to manually set up scheduled task for the guide update. Without the manually task setup if guide happens to update say 10pm I will have a blank guide for the next two hours. It has something to do with time zones it has been reported to icetv so it may be fixed but just to be aware. 

• Like 1