Emby Server Crashes watching live TV

bshaf
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

@@bshaf - What do you mean exactly by "crashing"? Does the Emby server process exit? Is there any entry in the event log documenting the crash?

@@softworkz - yeah, i guess crash may not be the right term. Essentially when i tune to a cable channel from a client it may strem video for a second or two then it will freeze and stop. No clients will be able to connect till i re-start the server. If i remote into my windows server i can see the emby server process consuming much higher CPU then normal and over 5gb of memory (there is a screenshot on the first post). Normally Emby consumes around 200mb of memory. I've let the server run like this for 5 or 10 minutes just to see what happens. The process doesn't appear to exit, so maybe crash isn't the right term. But it essentially ceases to function.

I haven't seen an entry in the windows event log yet.

Yes, I'll send it over tomorrow.

I recorded one of the cable channels last week till it froze and the connection dropped. After i rebooted the server i played the recording and it didn't have an issue. So you may not be able to replicate the issue

• Solution

@@bshaf - Thanks for sending the recorded stream!

The exception occurred due to malformed stream data, but I as able to fix this in our code to be tolerant for that case.

The fix should be included in the next beta.

• Like 1

You're welcome. Let's see how it goes with the next beta.

PS: There's no need for other channel recordings right now

Ok. Got it.

Do you know if something changed in the code around the end of July that caused this (around release 4.2.0.40)? Because its been working pretty solid for over a year. If it wasn't the Emby server code that changed to cause this, i think there was a Silicon Dust firmware update that may have changed the structure of the stream. If you're not sure, no big deal. I was just curious since the issue popped out of no where. 

In 4.2 there were some changes added for fixing timestamp problems. Unfortunately there's no option to disable this, so we can't be sure whether it's been caused by this.

A new beta 4.3.0.5 has been released. Please try and see if that fixes the issue.

Ok. I'm partially embarressed to ask, but how do you install the beta? I've downloaded the .7z file and unzipped it, but there is not installer. Do i need to unintalled the current version? The other question is how do I get back on the stable release once it's out?

I've searched the wiki, FAQ, testing area, GitHub and various other areas on the forum to how to do this and i couldn't find anything (which means its probably pretty obvious). 

Edited by bshaf

Happy2Play

Ok. I'm partially embarressed to ask, but how do you install the beta? I've downloaded the .7z file and unzipped it, but there is not installer. Do i need to unintalled the current version? The other question is how do I get back on the stable release once it's out?

I've searched the wiki, FAQ, testing area, GitHub and various other areas on the forum to how to do this and i couldn't find anything (which means its probably pretty obvious). 

Use the installer on the Download page (labeled Beta Channel).

https://emby.media/windows-server.html

Note you have to remain on the beta channel until stable versioning meets or exceed beta version numbering.  Then you have to use the stable installer to switch back to stable versioning.

Edited by Happy2Play