Standard features for MB3 clients?

Macburp

Macburp

Hello. Would just like to say that I'm loving all you do here. There is so much more to do though, and although I lack the skills to help out  I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Now that I use multiple clients (MBC, Android, Roku and occasionally web client) I'm seeing design differences between the clients that distract from the look/feel of the overall system for me. These are

- WOL. My server PC sleeps. When I use MBC on my extender it wakes the server (TBH, the server is  probably woken by the extender requesting a WMC session. Dunno). With android app and (I think) the Roku, the server is not woken. So for android I have to send the magic packets myself using another app - a pain, and not a welcome intro for the newbie user.

- Empty folders. MBC allows the user to hide empty folders, so I don't have to worry about deleting folders once I've watched the show and deleted it. The other clients I use don't have this feature, so I see a load of empty folders when I use them. Again, a bit of a pain.

These are the design differences that affect me, I would not be surprised if there were others out there.

My thought. Is it possible / practical / politic for the admins here to set minimum standards for functional features for MB3 clients? This would ensure that the user experience is uniform across all clients.

No idea how this would be possible, looking forward to peoples views on it.

ttfn 

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

@@Luke is trying to make it possible so things are more consistent. However in the long run, it will be up to the individual client developers as to what they implement and how they get the greatest advantage from their platform. For example there are things you do in Classic or Theater but are simply not possible on the Roku or iPhone.

Beardyname

- Empty folders. MBC allows the user to hide empty folders, so I don't have to worry about deleting folders once I've watched the show and deleted it. The other clients I use don't have this feature, so I see a load of empty folders when I use them. Again, a bit of a pain.

This one I'm not so sure is good/bad, Since I feel the project is moving towards a "View" perspective empty folders won't matter since they won't be shown. aka not moving around in folders. If you think this is bad or good totally depends on your opinion but I sure love the "Views" more than the folder based navigation. So what is my thought ? well Seeing as the project not has that many devs I think I would downvote it, but in the future when most major things are done then I won't mind if this is a settings somewhere. :)

WOL is slowly making its way into the other clients.

As for hide empty folders - I'd like to see that as an option at the API level so that every client doesn't have to worry about it.

• Like 1

Redshirt

That's the whole reason I haven't addressed empty folders yet.