Roku Not Streaming without MB3 Restart

jj12345

jj12345

Background... I am the OP at http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6939-no-streaming-after-server-upgrade/ and am using Roku3 client on local network... Ethernet not WiFi.

I upgraded to beta version 3.0.5238.39498 in hopes that it would solve the problem but does not.  Many times a day attempts to watch on Roku results in retrieving message getting to 15% and then pausing for ~30 seconds and then going back to the title screen.

The only fix is to stop the MB3 windows service and restart it.  I've tried running tray app instead of windows service and it has the same issue.  Stopping and restarting MB3 fixes the problem 100% of the time but only for a few hours.

ZIP file has logs from before and after latest MB3 restart.

The requested title was "DreamWorks Shorts - s01e17 - Kung Fu Panda Holiday.mp4"

You'll see no reference to it in the MB3 log from before shutdown.  That may be meaningful... the title was selected by Roku client, got to about 15% on the retrieving progress bar and timed out.  Log as no reference to it or to http://192.168.0.50:8096/mediabrowser/Videos/1921c908a20f4f8453e8cb49b914c1f8 which appears to be the url for the title.

Stopped and restarted MB3 windows service and then retried playing the same title and the log from after restart shows the HTTP GET for that url and ffmpeg streaming the title.

It's been almost a month now of stopping and restarting MB3 multiple times a day.

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue still or not.  I think some who had it before were resolved with this beta build but it hasn't done the job for me.  The logs don't even show the title as having been requested (or the request wasn't received or the request wasn't logged).  

I can open up MB3 externally if it would help.

I see there is an API available... maybe I could write a watchdog to check MB3 every 15 minutes and if it's not in the middle of serving content just stop and restart the windows service automatically.  At some point that will be faster than connecting to the server and stopping and restarting MB3 all the time manually.

server-63537047821.zip

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Running two Roku 3 devices in the house and don't have this problem. Looking at the log, your Roku seems to be dropping off the network periodically and then the stream times out. The server isn't able to make a connection again. Are you using Wireless connections?

Koleckai Silvestri

Pass-through is a Roku System setting. If you go to the Roku Settings and look at your Audio it will be either set to 2 channel or 5.1 channel. 5.1 requires pass-through. Pass-through would occur via the HDMI cable to a receiver or other compatible device.

CBers

Running two Roku 3 devices in the house and don't have this problem. Looking at the log, your Roku seems to be dropping off the network periodically and then the stream times out. The server isn't able to make a connection again. Are you using Wireless connections?

He says wired.

Background... I am the OP at http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6939-no-streaming-after-server-upgrade/ and am using Roku3 client on local network... Ethernet not WiFi.

@@jj12345 - which version of the MB3 plugin are you running on the Roku ?? Has it updated recently ??

Edited by CBers

jj12345

The connection is Cat6 wired not wireless.

It wouldn't surprise me that the Roku is somehow involved since on occasion when I've seen the error I've tested the web client and it has worked.  That said, I have the problem with MB production channel, MB beta channel, MB++ channel but non-MB channels play content fine.  Also if the Roku's network connectivity is the issue then I would not expect that stopping and restarting MB3 would fix it 100% of the time and appears to be the only way to fix it.

jj12345

@ - my Roku audio is set to stereo.  I don't have surround sound so I think this is the correct setting.  Is it causing MB3 to transcode everything even mp4 files where the audio is stereo?

CBers

Are you trying to stream an ISO (CHURCH_HISTORY_DISC_1.iso) to your Roku ??

jj12345

@@CBers - I have Roku MB production channel, beta channel, and MB++ channel all installed and they all seem to have the problem.  I'm not sure how to detect when an individual channel was last updated but the Roku is configured to update system and channels daily and I just did a manual scan for updates and there were none so I'm guessing they're all up-to-date.

jj12345

@@CBers - I do sometimes stream ISO files but this time it was the mp4 noted in my post that was failing to stream and then later successfully streamed.

CBers

Did the MP4 video (Monsters vs. Aliens - Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space.mp4 ) playback OK, as I thought MP4 videos played without transcoding.

What Video Quality setting do you have in the Roku channel ?? Mine is set to 2,6 and don't have any issues.

Might be worth deleting all of the MB3 channels and just try the official one for now - I believe the version is currently v1.17.6.

To determine the version, open the channel and go down to the bottom of the screen (Options) and under Preferences it will show you the version number.

Edited by CBers

jj12345

The mp4 files do play fine.  I thought they would play direct w/o transcoding as well.  I'd prefer direct play back to lesson the server load but lately I'm just happy to have content playing.

I usually keep the video quality at 20mb HD setting.  On occasion I find it reset to 664kb SD.  Not sure if that's due to a channel update not remembering the setting or my kids playing with the menu.

MB prod = v 1.17.6

MB beta = v 1.17.6

MB++ = v1.9

Do you think the channels are interfering with each other or are you just suggesting to narrow down the number of variables at play here?

CBers

At 20mb I think you'll find everything will transcode (someone will correct me ;) ).

Might be worth lowering it to 2.6, then increase until you get playback working with the PQ you want.

What spec is the server you have ??

Koleckai Silvestri

Sorry, missed the wired statement. In your log where streaming doesn't work, I see a lot of these errors:

2014-05-30 09:01:27.4451 Error - HttpResultFactory: Error streaming media
The specified network name is no longer available
System.Net.HttpListenerException
  at System.Net.HttpResponseStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
  at System.IO.Stream.<BeginEndWriteAsync>b__17(Stream stream, IAsyncResult asyncResult)
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncTrimPromise`1.Complete(TInstance thisRef, Func`3 endMethod, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at System.IO.Stream.<CopyToAsyncInternal>d__2.MoveNext()
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.StreamWriter.<WriteToAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
It appears that for some reason, your server isn't seeing the device it is trying to stream to. Restarting the server could restore its network map and force the roku to make a fresh connection. Restarting the Roku probably accomplishes the same end result. What happens if you plug in a laptop to the same network port as the Roku and use the web client? Edited by Wayne Luke

Koleckai Silvestri

At 20mb I think you'll find everything will transcode (someone will correct me ;) ).

Very little will transcode at 20 Mbps actually. My Rokus only transcode HD Audio (not using bitstreaming) and subtitle streams. The default setting is a mere 3.2 Mbps. At 664 Kbps everything will transcode and quality will degrade severely on HD media.

CBers

OK, I got it the wrong way round then :(

So if it's set to 20nb,why is he getting mp4 files transcoded?

I saw the I/O errors as well.

jj12345

@@CBers - Server is quad core i5-4430 CPU @ 3GHz with 8GB RAM running 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro.  I used the 20 Mbps setting based on something I read somewhere in the forums here about a good setting to use for hard wired Roku devices.  It may or may not be the appropriate setting and I'm happy to try others if it would help.

@ - I didn't recognize the error since I expected the http get to be logged but it is at the right time frame and perhaps the exception prevented logging of the http get request.  I'll do some experimenting the next time it happens. 

Koleckai Silvestri

OK, I got it the wrong way round then :(

So if it's set to 20nb,why is he getting mp4 files transcoded?

I saw the I/O errors as well.

Depends on the contents of the MP4 container. The Roku doesn't accept DTS except for Pass-through. If you don't have Pass-through enabled, it requires transcoding.  If you use non-burned in subtitles on the Roku, it will always transcode currently.

Edited by Wayne Luke

jj12345

@ - Where to I check to see if I have pass-through enabled?

The mp4 in question is video: 1280x720, 29fps, data rate 3716kbps, total bitrate 3908kbs & audio: bit rate 192kbps, channels 2 (stereo), sample rate 4 kHz... pretty sure the only part of that I understood was mp4, 1280x720, and 29ftps  :)

jj12345

Happened again this evening... log entry quoted below.  

I don't think this is a situation with the Roku loosing network connectivity since:

1. Why would MB3 have an error streaming media unless it got the stream request from the Roku?  If I try over and over the same error appears in the logs over and over which means each time MB3 is getting the request so the Roku must have network connectivity.

2. I exited MB3 channel and played a streaming video via Amazon channel and then immediately went back to MB3 channel and it still wouldn't play (same error in the log).

3. Again, stopping and restarting MB3 windows service fixed it right away.

2014-05-31 22:39:19.2621 Error - HttpResultFactory: Error streaming media

at System.IO.Stream.<BeginEndWriteAsync>b__17(Stream stream, IAsyncResult asyncResult)
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncTrimPromise`1.Complete(TInstance thisRef, Func`3 endMethod, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.StreamWriter.<WriteToAsync>d__0.MoveNext()

2014-05-29 21:53:36.9958 Info - App: Killing ffmpeg process for C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp\d2a2206f-d9c4-dd09-c924-2b0a162955a6.webm
2014-05-29 21:53:36.9958 Info - App: FFMpeg exited with code -1
2014-05-29 21:53:37.0088 Info - App: Deleting partial stream file(s) C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp\d2a2206f-d9c4-dd09-c924-2b0a162955a6.webm
2014-05-29 21:53:37.0088 Info - App: FFMpeg exited with an error.
2014-05-29 21:53:37.0088 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to [fe80::bc44:8f4d:7c35:de0e%15]:58379. Response time: 13.0013 ms
Url: http://server:8096/mediabrowser/Videos/ActiveEncodings?deviceId=d7f2e3eb6aca7660e9bfcee7c6e5813f5b6ca055
2014-05-29 21:53:37.0088 Error - App: Error streaming media
at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.Progressive.ProgressiveStreamWriter.<StreamFile>d__3.MoveNext()
at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.Progressive.ProgressiveStreamWriter.<WriteToAsync>d__0.MoveNext()

See If it has an error with ffmpeg. If so, the problem is directly related to ( http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7246-unable-to-stream-roku-off-network/page-2 ) this thread. That thread is also directly related to a couple.

To reproduce the issue you need to:

1) restart mediabrowser server, fresh restart...

2) find any movie which is normally transcoded and play, but quickly exit before it can bring up the play screen

3) If you did it _too fast_ transcoded videos will fail to play after this point

( try to be super fast, start the video, stop it *fast as snaps fingers* at doing this start/stop )

The error above will generate itself once indicating ffmpeg has died. After this point http response 204 will occur shortly after with The specified network name is no longer available. Subsequent videos that require transcoding will fail until server is restarted. The http response 204 and the specified network name is no longer available will continue to appear but no longer is ffmpeg...

This is fully reproduceable. This is clearly a bug within the server which the roku client appears best at exposing. This is why unplugging the roku and rebooting doesn't solve a thing. The server itself must be restarted for ffpmeg to ever spawn again.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

I was able to reproduce this and it is solved for the next dev release, and will be in the upcoming stable release this week.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...