Hardware for an MB3 client

Macburp

Macburp

Chaps,

One thing we don't talk about too much here is the hardware we use for the PC under the TV. More specifically, the cheaper end of the market. I've seen discussion of top end HTPCs and some talk of NUCs, but not too much else.

I personally would like to get a cost-effective mini PC that runs windows, so I can do away with my Xbox extender. Examples that appeal are

-  Zotac ZBOX NANO ID18 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-ZBOX-NETTOP-Intel-celeron/dp/B00GLPCUOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401466196&sr=8-1&keywords=zotac+id18), which is a barebones system for less than £100

- Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DPJZQBG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE), a complete system with 500GB drive, 4GB RAM and Windows 8 chucked in for £230. Wow

There's a whole forum for this at xbmc.org, which is a great resource but is not too helpful when it comes to MB3 (indeed, why should it be?). Some conversation here would be great - perhaps a forum area or thread for discussion of all things hardware would be good?

Anyway, comments on the hardware mentioned above and any other possibilities would be great.

ttfn

MediaManXL

I currently use a Zotac Ion ITX atom based mobo with Win 7 and MBT on one of my remote TVs. It works fine, but I'm actually planning on replacing it with a Roku or some other stand-alone device to reduce the size footprint. I like the ion ITX because it's passive cooled and totally silent. I want to replace it with something less computer-y for family use. It's frustrating for them when Windows Update asks to reboot during the middle of Frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

techywarrior

I currently use a Zotac Ion ITX atom based mobo with Win 7 and MBT on one of my remote TVs. It works fine, but I'm actually planning on replacing it with a Roku or some other stand-alone device to reduce the size footprint. I like the ion ITX because it's passive cooled and totally silent. I want to replace it with something less computer-y for family use. It's frustrating for them when Windows Update asks to reboot during the middle of Frozen.

Funny thing is you would have been better with win8 since they were much smarter about the request for restarts after an update (you now have like 3 days before it auto reboots).

Of course you can also just set an automated task to reboot the machine at like 4am on the second Wednesday of the month. (since updates install at 2am second Tuesday of the month)

But I agree with your sentiment. Unless you need/want a full PC connected to the TV, a Roku is great. My main TV has a full HTPC (win7, i3 2.8ghz, etc.) and then my office TV has a Roku.

MediaManXL

Yeah, I could definitely come up with a way to better handle the Windows Updates. It was mostly just meant as an example of the Win 7 box being too computer-y for family use. It might be Windows update, or Java update, or nVidia driver updates, etc. that can pop up and be annoying--especially on a computer with no keyboard attached. I could probably take the time to change settings for each of these, but laziness keeps me from doing so. You definitely got my bigger point about the simplicity (and size) advantages of a small appliance versus a full blown PC.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm glad to hear you think the Roku is great. I think that's the MB client I'm leaning toward.

Koleckai Silvestri

What are the needs for a full Windows Box as your HTPC?

That would qualify what you purchase. With those boxes, the only thing I can think of is Steam Big Picture. They won't be able to do any kind of hardcore gaming by themselves. If you're not using Big Picture, then you can probably satisfy viewing needs in a small set top box.

In my house, we use Rokus. Currently have two and will probably buy 1 or 2 more in the next year. Though the Amazon Fire looks good as well.

Edited by Wayne Luke

CBers

I have done away with 2 HTPCs and now use the Samsung SmartTV App in the lounge and a Chromecast in the bedroom.

My daughter has a Roku 2XS in her room.

We also have a Now TV box in the kitchen.

So, no HTPCs in my house and no issues either.

Macburp

I like the concept of Roku. Good for the 2nd TV I think.

However, what I really want is a seamless media menu using MB3, iPlayer, 4OD, Spotify and maybe other things. Could Roku do that?

I have a Now TV box and so far have not been impressed with the PQ. This may be my set-up, at early stages in working that out.

I also want a box that direct plays as much content as possible. MBC does so, XBM3C does as well (I think), but Roku transcodes avi's.

ecrispy

There is not really any alternative to x86 at the moment. And instead of having to install and maintain Windows, OpenElec is apretty good playback experience when combined with XBMB3C, which unfortunately means giving up on MBT.

I think the cheapest solution right now is an Intel DN2820 NUC (Celeron based) running Windows + MBT or OpenElec, or Asus Chromebox running OpenElec. I prefer not having to run Windows due to the issues already mentioned.

Koleckai Silvestri

Don't have any AVIs myself. Our Rokus have dozens of channels available outside of MediaBrowser. Really depends on how seamless you want it. I don't have a problem with the server transcoding video though. That is the entire reason I want a media server. So whether it is the Rokus, Kindle Fire Tablets, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, iPad, Web Browsers, or iPhones in the house, transcoding is all good with me.

• 1 month later...
Spaceboy

Roku is great but it's not integrated across apps at all. That's the weakest bit. Mb3 on roku looks like it's starting to pull it all together though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deihmos
MediaManXL, on 30 May 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:MediaManXL, on 30 May 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

Why would you replace the Zotac with something that cannot playback videos natively? Your server will consume more power because it has to convert the videos and the Zotac is already so small. I have a roku and I just use it occasionally for amazon prime videos. Luckily my server and client is in one for the living room with two other client in the bedrooms. A nuc and zotac Zbox. 

Disable windows updates or change the schedule time.

Edited by Deihmos

DeeMac

Why would you replace the Zotac with something that cannot playback videos natively? Your server will consume more power because it has to convert the videos and the Zotac is already so small. I have a roku and I just use it occasionally for amazon prime videos. Luckily my server and client is in one for the living room with two other client in the bedrooms. A nuc and zotac Zbox. 

Disable windows updates or change the schedule time.

Agreed.  If the client cant access the videos via smb share, then your server must transcode the video, resulting in higher cpu usage on the server.   Take a look at what has been posted here to see if your server can handle the transcoding... http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7603-recommendations-on-cpu/

SwaggTX

I'm looking at making a client with my e6600 core 2 duo lga775. I'd just move the guts to an htpc case and let that serve from my bedroom. I would only be streaming to myself and the gf, but I could setup test streams to iPad, 2 Samsung Note phones, Samsung Note Tablet, Toshiba Laptop, HP Laptop, the HTPC itself, LG Smart TV, and maybe another phone concurrently to test how the processor is stressed.

Koleckai Silvestri

I only get transcoding at full bit rate bluray quality. If something does transcode, it takes about 1/4 of the length of the video at most.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Deihmos

I'm looking at making a client with my e6600 core 2 duo lga775. I'd just move the guts to an htpc case and let that serve from my bedroom. I would only be streaming to myself and the gf, but I could setup test streams to iPad, 2 Samsung Note phones, Samsung Note Tablet, Toshiba Laptop, HP Laptop, the HTPC itself, LG Smart TV, and maybe another phone concurrently to test how the processor is stressed.

That will work but the power consumption on those components are high. Edited by Deihmos

saajan4u

you gotta have have something with some juice in the living room.. as thats where you show off to guests ! 

as for the bedroom rokus are perfect..

i have an i7 with 32gb ram in the living room with ssd.. i know thats a complete waste and over kill..

but everything is nice and smooth.. especially if you got the media browsers background vid playing..