Filters don’t work in mixed libraries?

levander

levander

I also noticed that folder view in all libraries ignores filters. But mixed type library is actualy folder view. Is there any hope?

levander

Hi, what does "ignores filters" mean?

Filters only work on those items that are visible on the level from where you filter. It ignores those items that are in folders and subfolders.

levander

As you can see in attachment this is how my test mixed library looks like when I open it. There you can see folders where movies or tv shows are. For example Comedy folder contains subfolders which are names of some comedians. So when on this page you see in attachment image I select filters... and then select genre: comedy... I get zero results. If I go in Comedy folder where there are only subfolders I get same results after same action: zero. If I further go in subfolder ‘Norm Macdonald’ where movies and tv shows are and select filter and choose genre: comedy... I get expected results.

So filters work only if there are media files, but it will ignore media in subfolders. In home videos folder you can select ‘Videos’ so there are no folders and this is not problem but in mixed libraries you only have that one view which is actually folder view and it is really a problem because it is impossible to use filters.

post-96264-0-46554100-1564857948_thumb.jpeg

Right. What makes this hard, and this applies to all apps, is what do you filter on.  If you filter on a tag or genre, then should your comedy folder show because it has at least one item somewhere underneath with the genre you're filtering on? Or do we require you to set the genre on the comedy folder manually?

Either choice is hard and that's why when we filter in metadata-based views, we avoid the question altogether by not making the filters folder based.

levander

I am not sure I understand your point... But folders don’t show up even if I filter something that is contained within any folder. Also folders don’t show up even if I manually add metadata to folder. Anyhow this is a fact: in folder view filters don’t work. And mixed libraries are that.

If the problem is fixing this by somehow allowing filters do recursive work through folders and subfolders then maybe mixed libraries could have something like home videos library: folder AND videos views, only instead videos there could be movies and tv shows view (?)

Furthermore it would be even better if filtering could be global like search is.

Happy2Play

I have no problem with filters in mixed content but I do not have multiple level nested folder structure.

levander

I have no problem with filters in mixed content but I do not have multiple level nested folder structure.

Yes I understand but the only reason I use mixed libraries is so I can group movies and tv in folders. Sure, you can use collections to group media but in my case collections are unreliable.

Happy2Play

To me I would say this is something that have never been tested as this is the first time the issue has ever been brought up.  But as you mentioned I don't believe they are recursive in Mixed Content and only apply to the level you are at.

Exactly and that's just what i mean about the filters are harder when they are folder based. 

Fixed is not the right word. It has to be thought out based on the question i posed above. Suppose we add a genre filter, and somewhere underneath your comedy folder you have a video with the comedy genre. If the filter is only looking at the current level, that means your comedy folder won't show unless you've added the comedy genre to it. So does that mean you're going to come back and say "not working" ? Yes, you probably will, and that's why we can't put it in the user interface until all of that has been looked at carefully.

levander

I understand. When I say fix I don’t necessarily mean another compromise. On the contrary, I would rather have something completely different so I don’t need mixed libraries in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
gcoupe

So I notice that Emby is now aware of (at least some of) the IPTC metadata tags in my photos - the descriptive tags are now showing up in the Filters list. However, they are not usable for me because:

a) The Filters feature only works within the currently selected folder. Since my collection of photos are arranged in a hierarchy of folders by year and month, it is impossible (for example) to select all photos that have the tag "Amsterdam" because these will be scattered throughout a number of folders.

b ) The Filters feature also does not support multiple tags, so even if the whole picture library could be used, I still could not select (for example) photos of "Amsterdam" AND "bicycle".

It seems to me that the current design may be fine for movie and TV media, but is not suitable for pictures.

Edited by gcoupe

So I notice that Emby is now aware of (at least some of) the IPTC metadata tags in my photos - the descriptive tags are now showing up in the Filters list. However, they are not usable for me because:

a) The Filters feature only works within the currently selected folder. Since my collection of photos are arranged in a hierarchy of folders by year and month, it is impossible (for example) to select all photos that have the tag "Amsterdam" because these will be scattered throughout a number of folders.

b ) The Filters feature also does not support multiple tags, so even if the whole picture library could be used, I still could not select (for example) photos of "Amsterdam" AND "bicycle".

It seems to me that the current design may be fine for movie and TV media, but is not suitable for pictures.

Hi, please read this topic to see the concerns about folder-based filtering.

If you switch to the Photos tab in your library then we can easily filter based on all photos in your library.

gcoupe

If you switch to the Photos tab in your library then we can easily filter based on all photos in your library.

Well, then it's not working as I expect, and that is to select photos from my entire collection filtered by tag(s). 

Here's what I see when I show the top level of my Picture library

post-1131-0-86531100-1566075720_thumb.png

And here's what I see when I filter on the tag "Amsterdam":

post-1131-0-85613100-1566075776_thumb.png

I expect to see the 5,064 photos that have been tagged "Amsterdam"...

Edited by gcoupe

Well, then it's not working as I expect, and that is to select photos from my entire collection filtered by tag(s). 

attachicon.gifEmby 11.png

attachicon.gifEmby 10.png

It doesn't look like you're in the Photos tab. You don't even have a Photos tab there. In Emby library setup what is the content type of the library? It should be home videos & photos.

Happy2Play

attachicon.gifEmby 11.png

attachicon.gifEmby 10.png

So you have photos in a Mixed Content Library instead of Home Videos and Photos library?

Photos in mixed libraries are supported for basic browsing only. Filtering on them is subject to all of the limitations that we've been discussing here in this topic. For the best experience possible you'll want to use the dedicated library content type that we have for this.

gcoupe

OK, that was not clear to me. I simply set up the Pictures library using the initial setup screens, and chose Home videos & photos for my photo library - that was the most logical choice? The setup seems to have given me a mixed content setting...

This may well have been because with a proposed content of "videos & photos" suggested by the setup screen, I also added in my home videos folders. This may have been what caused Emby (unbeknownst to me) to switch to a mixed content setting, and removed the specific photo handling functions.

I've removed the library and this time just added the photos folders. And now indeed, I'm seeing different displays geared to photo handling. 

Edited by gcoupe

OK, that was not clear to me. I simply set up the Pictures library using the initial setup screens, and chose Pictures for my photo library. The setup seems to have given me a mixed content setting by default...

Ok, I apologize. looks like you setup your photos library a long time ago because the Photos content type was replaced a couple years ago with just home videos and photos. They were merged because users wanted to be able to mix the two. You can't create a library with content type photos anymore, but you can still have one hanging around and I think we've just been neglecting testing it. We should look at making sure it behaves like home videos & photos. For immediate relief I would suggest removing the library and re-adding with the new content type. Thanks.

gcoupe

It's OK, I'm coming back to Emby after a long time away, so there's lots to relearn for me. I've got a further issue that's puzzling me, but I'll raise that in a new thread