Photo

On another site Emby vs. Plex lively discussion.

Plex

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 BAlGaInTl OFFLINE  

BAlGaInTl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 PM

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:42 AM

Plex home members get access to all the apps for free. Maximum of 15 members per home share. So no, its definitely not cheaper and to Plex users looking to switch its a bit concerning to have a device limit.

https://support.plex...t-is-plex-home/

I wasn't aware of the "home" feature.  That must have been added after I left Plex.

I do wish that Emby would make the "devices" more transparent.  Not everything counts against the limit, and you never know how many you have used or what they are.  Improvements to that have been talked about, but so far, not much has been done towards that.

#42 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

I do wish that Emby would make the "devices" more transparent. Not everything counts against the limit, and you never know how many you have used or what they are. Improvements to that have been talked about, but so far, not much has been done towards that.

Agreed. There are plenty of threads on places like reddit discussing this and in many of them people decide not to try Emby for this very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 adrianwi OFFLINE  

adrianwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 PM
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:26 AM

I think most people would agree that there needs to be better control and visibility of the client devices accessing the emby server, but since the premiere limit was increased from 15 to 25 I've never even seen any warning messages suggesting I am close to the limit. 

It would be nice if this was all much more transparent, but I don't think it should be a deal breaker for anyone considering emby. 

You have far more control with emby than Plex will allow these days, as most of the clients won't even connect to a server without being logged into a plex.tv account.  This is criminal for anyone only wanting to use a media server on their local network, and along with a dubious privacy policy should be deal breaker for anyone thinking of using Plex.

• heciruam likes this

#44 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 49064 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

Ok, Im asking why does me having unlimited devices vs 25 matter? Is there something on your side that causes more strain the more devices I use? What is the limit for? What purpose does it actually serve?

I thought we had explained this but it is purely to protect our investment and ensure our ability to continue to develop and support the platform.

Without some sort of limit you could simply share your key on the internet and everyone could get Emby Premiere for free.  

#45 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

I thought we had explained this but it is purely to protect our investment and ensure our ability to continue to develop and support the platform.

Without some sort of limit you could simply share your key on the internet and everyone could get Emby Premiere for free.

So wouldnt it make more sense to limit user shares instead of this weird, confusing device limit?

#46 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146299 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

So wouldnt it make more sense to limit user shares instead of this weird, confusing device limit?

We've chosen to make cloud accounts optional so there is no direct comparison. We would have to do a complete reversal on that and require Emby Connect sign in to all of our apps in order to allow us to track that sort of thing.

• heciruam likes this

#47 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

We've chosen to make cloud accounts optional so there is no direct comparison. We would have to do a complete reversal on that and require Emby Connect sign in to all of our apps in order to allow us to track that sort of thing.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks Luke.

#48 Corte122 OFFLINE  

Corte122

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 AM

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:54 AM

Tried emby for a couple months . I just want to say keep up the great work. To be honest I own both Plex an emby , can't go wrong with either one , competition is always good !

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#49 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146299 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:56 AM

Tried emby for a couple months . I just want to say keep up the great work. To be honest I own both Plex an emby , can't go wrong with either one , competition is always good !

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome and thanks for the feedback.

#50 jxb1234 OFFLINE  

jxb1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 07:36 AM

I tried emby a few years ago but the gui was far too 'busy' and hard to navigate.

I'm back now on a 1 month subscription over xmas to test it out again as a long term plex user with lifetime plex pass.

For me, plex didn't work for several of my use cases. These are:

Xbox one playback locks up completely after 15 mins for movie playback.

Xbox one tv guide is not available as a 'normal' guide making it impossible to find a tv program to watch.

Xbox one tv playback locks up after a few minutes and cannot recover.

The plex embedded player stutters and buffers on a raspberry pi 3 making unusable.

There is no gapless music playback on the plex web player. Theres a 3 sec gap between tracks - useless for audio tracks designed to flow into each other.

Plex sync (movie download) is totally broken on android. Just doesn't work and if you do get stuff to download, it won't play offline.

Plex devs never reply on the forums so no one knows if issues are being addressed. I have open issues that's 3 years old and no been fixed.

Plex added tidal and won't let me remove it. Plex added all sorts of junk that I don't want link old movies, news channels, random streams etc that can't be removed, cluttering my gui. I want MY media and only my media, not sponsored crap forced on me.

Plex doesnt support google home integration and doesnt appear to be working on it.

I'll be testing each of these with emby as part of my evaluation to see if emby is what I need and I can delete plex.

Emby doesn't have lyrics. Not a deal breaker.
Emby doesn't look as polished as plex but I have seen massive improvement over time on this.
Emby doesnt find all album and artist artwork like plex. Plex has 100% album/artist art for my music library. Embybis about 80%.

Emby doesnt show if an artist is on tour. If use this feature quite a bit in plex.

Emby on xbox one seems to work ok for movies and tv playback and the guide works too.

Emby download works 'ok'. Ui could be clearer about converting and downloading progress.

Emby really doesn't like it when I disable wifi. It locks up on android. I've not played with this yet and will open support thread when I have time.

So far, emby seems better overall. It works albeit with quirks which is at least a step forward from the issues I'm having with plex.

Edited by jxb1234, 30 December 2019 - 07:40 AM.

#51 jxb1234 OFFLINE  

jxb1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:31 PM

Also plex doesn't deal with seeking within movies very well, it buffers for ages. Emby seems to handle this perfectly.

#52 bearhaus24 OFFLINE  

bearhaus24

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:09 PM

Can't the license just be tied to a hardware UID? This is extremely common.

In regards to the licensing model, I also agree it scares off a large amount of customers. I have been on and off with Emby for many years, most of which paying monthly to continually support the project because I like agree with benefits and ideology others have described. Lately, I've been using it full time and my only real complaint is that posters and metadata randomly (but often) do not load instantly.

I have always felt that if Emby were to simply ditch the device limit, and set the server license to $5-$10/month with no lifetime subscription option, the platform would really flourish. I'd gladly pay $10/mo perpetually. This team and product deserves to be compensated for their effort and it would be great to see development increase further.

Regardless of its validity, it's an amazingly huge sales turn off to have a licensing model that is difficult to understand, even for users actively using the system. 

#53 BAlGaInTl OFFLINE  

BAlGaInTl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

Can't the license just be tied to a hardware UID? This is extremely common.

Yes it is. But what hardware UID? What about those that run Emby in a virtual environment? What about beta testers (myself included) that run multiple instances of Emby using the same premier key?

In regards to the licensing model, I also agree it scares off a large amount of customers. I have been on and off with Emby for many years, most of which paying monthly to continually support the project because I like agree with benefits and ideology others have described. Lately, I've been using it full time and my only real complaint is that posters and metadata randomly (but often) do not load instantly.

I have always felt that if Emby were to simply ditch the device limit, and set the server license to $5-$10/month with no lifetime subscription option, the platform would really flourish. I'd gladly pay $10/mo perpetually.

I'm not sure I agree. I like supporting Emby, but I got my lifetime license near the beginning of 2017 I think. I later augmented that with a $99 device limit increase (even though I didn't need it... it was purely to support Emby). I'm not sure it makes sense, and may have the effect of pushing users to systems that are free, or have lifetime licenses.

This team and product deserves to be compensated for their effort and it would be great to see development increase further.

On this bold point I definitely agree. I'm not sure that more $ would lead to more quality development. I want the Emby team to be compensated for their work... but I also don't want them to over-reach or get too big to remember the users.

Regardless of its validity, it's an amazingly huge sales turn off to have a licensing model that is difficult to understand, even for users actively using the system.

I'm not sure it's that difficult to understand. It can be (and has been) improved over time. I think this strategy is working for Emby, or we would have seen more changes to the pricing/licensing model.
  • neik likes this

#54 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3240 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

Probably completely the wrong place to post, and probably a wrong assumption as well, but unless somethings changed, think trial periods should be improved / more consistent. Do people still have to be told to sign up for a month for a proper trial ? Think this especially applies to Live TV, which generally needs a decent test to try out. Would think a standard 2 week free trial would be better.

Apologies if I'm completely out of date on this.

#55 BAlGaInTl OFFLINE  

BAlGaInTl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:12 PM

Probably completely the wrong place to post, and probably a wrong assumption as well, but unless somethings changed, think trial periods should be improved / more consistent. Do people still have to be told to sign up for a month for a proper trial ? Think this especially applies to Live TV, which generally needs a decent test to try out. Would think a standard 2 week free trial would be better.

Apologies if I'm completely out of date on this.

I agree with this as well. Maybe a system to generate a premiere key that's only good for x days and then expires.

I think more people are turned off from "trying" Emby because there is a cost to truly test it.
  • arrbee99 likes this

#56 thrillcat ONLINE  

thrillcat

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

I noticed you failed to mention the BIGGIE namely support, @darkassassin07 experienced what caused many others to prefer Emby. Plex does not listen not its users, but much more so no even to its beta testers and Ninjas. For example with the very recent change in thetvdb site the devs here had within a day a solution. Just that in itself gives Emby the edge. In addition when it comes to supporting a corporation or an entrepreneur for me the entrepreneur always wins out because he has mouths to feed and don't have to answer to shareholders demands.

As far as integrating other services is concerned, this is going to be one to keep your eyes on because the field of streaming services gets more and more crowded. If Disney no longer wanted to share their content with Netflix how in the world will Plex negotiate a deal for Disney's service or any other service to be integrated in the Plex Portal, what is in it for Disney? More likely Plex will be bought out by some huge corporation and then you have to deal with their support and their way of doing things and you are further removed from those that could listen to your requests.

Support with Emby is far more open.

Regarding the services, the feedback I’m seeing and feeling is that yes, PLEX users don’t feel heard by developers, and this is exacerbated by PLEX adding free movies and content rentals and sales, etc (which they announced last week).

PLEX users by and large don’t care about that. They want better control over THEIR content, not another catalog of free movies they already have access to via Netflix, VUDU and Amazon.

There are other better ways to access content you don’t own than the PLEX interface.

#57 Handbrake OFFLINE  

Handbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

Support with Emby is far more open.

Regarding the services, the feedback I’m seeing and feeling is that yes, PLEX users don’t feel heard by developers, and this is exacerbated by PLEX adding free movies and content rentals and sales, etc (which they announced last week).

PLEX users by and large don’t care about that. They want better control over THEIR content, not another catalog of free movies they already have access to via Netflix, VUDU and Amazon.

There are other better ways to access content you don’t own than the PLEX interface.

The problem is that if you are not part of the "elite group" here, you will be destroyed by those "elite members"  One advice, be quiet and just read the forum. 

@Luke i'm waiting for your answer of the PM more than a week ago. No answer, no explanation, you normally reply with another answer.

Thanks

Edited by Handbrake, 20 January 2020 - 02:17 PM.

• thrillcat likes this

#58 Handbrake OFFLINE  

Handbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=DKLcmPS5yo4

#59 jxb1234 OFFLINE  

jxb1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

The CEO is talking crap. The plex forum is full of bugs that are never going to be fixed.
Sync doesn't work at all on android and nor does xbox playback or xbox live tv. These are all premium only features.

Xbox live tv and recordings playback is also broken with emby.

Emby also doesnt support my 2014 samsung tv (can't press enter on remote to select movies or tv shows and cant enter password or pin code for users that need to login as theres no on screen keyboard).

Overall, emby is better imho and people here on the emby forums are friendly.

Very rare to get a response from a plex dev on their forum.

#60 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146299 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:50 PM

Emby also doesnt support my 2014 samsung tv (can't press enter on remote to select movies or tv shows and cant enter password or pin code for users that need to login as theres no on screen keyboard).

We do actually. We have an app in the Samsung store for 2014 units. The problem is that Samsung is no longer accepting submissions for these older models so we can't update it with new versions anymore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plex

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dibbes, Spaceboy