Photo

On another site Emby vs. Plex lively discussion.

Plex

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 BAlGaInTl OFFLINE  

BAlGaInTl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 696 posts
  • Local time: 08:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:42 AM

Plex home members get access to all the apps for free. Maximum of 15 members per home share. So no, its definitely not cheaper and to Plex users looking to switch its a bit concerning to have a device limit.

https://support.plex...t-is-plex-home/

I wasn't aware of the "home" feature.  That must have been added after I left Plex.

I do wish that Emby would make the "devices" more transparent.  Not everything counts against the limit, and you never know how many you have used or what they are.  Improvements to that have been talked about, but so far, not much has been done towards that.

#42 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

I do wish that Emby would make the "devices" more transparent. Not everything counts against the limit, and you never know how many you have used or what they are. Improvements to that have been talked about, but so far, not much has been done towards that.

Agreed. There are plenty of threads on places like reddit discussing this and in many of them people decide not to try Emby for this very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 adrianwi OFFLINE  

adrianwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Local time: 01:26 AM
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:26 AM

I think most people would agree that there needs to be better control and visibility of the client devices accessing the emby server, but since the premiere limit was increased from 15 to 25 I've never even seen any warning messages suggesting I am close to the limit. 

It would be nice if this was all much more transparent, but I don't think it should be a deal breaker for anyone considering emby. 

You have far more control with emby than Plex will allow these days, as most of the clients won't even connect to a server without being logged into a plex.tv account.  This is criminal for anyone only wanting to use a media server on their local network, and along with a dubious privacy policy should be deal breaker for anyone thinking of using Plex.

• heciruam likes this

#44 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46355 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

Ok, Im asking why does me having unlimited devices vs 25 matter? Is there something on your side that causes more strain the more devices I use? What is the limit for? What purpose does it actually serve?

I thought we had explained this but it is purely to protect our investment and ensure our ability to continue to develop and support the platform.

Without some sort of limit you could simply share your key on the internet and everyone could get Emby Premiere for free.  

#45 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

I thought we had explained this but it is purely to protect our investment and ensure our ability to continue to develop and support the platform.

Without some sort of limit you could simply share your key on the internet and everyone could get Emby Premiere for free.

So wouldnt it make more sense to limit user shares instead of this weird, confusing device limit?

#46 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135740 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

So wouldnt it make more sense to limit user shares instead of this weird, confusing device limit?

We've chosen to make cloud accounts optional so there is no direct comparison. We would have to do a complete reversal on that and require Emby Connect sign in to all of our apps in order to allow us to track that sort of thing.

• heciruam likes this

#47 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

We've chosen to make cloud accounts optional so there is no direct comparison. We would have to do a complete reversal on that and require Emby Connect sign in to all of our apps in order to allow us to track that sort of thing.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks Luke.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users