On another site Emby vs. Plex lively discussion.

One2Go

Chyron
2 hours ago, nanohits said:

I have also just bought Emby Lifetime. HAve it up on my mac but I am finding its taking up too much CPU resources. Its flatlining at 100% so not good at all.

It is the ffmpeg thats doing it. When I shut the server everything goes back to normal. MInd you I am not even playing back files. It is sitting idle.

Create a new thread to report this issue. The devs will certainly get to work on figuring out what it is doing and fixing it.

CBers
2 hours ago, nanohits said:

I have also just bought Emby Lifetime. HAve it up on my mac but I am finding its taking up too much CPU resources. Its flatlining at 100% so not good at all.

It is the ffmpeg thats doing it. When I shut the server everything goes back to normal. MInd you I am not even playing back files. It is sitting idle.

Did you have a library scan running at that time ?

nanohits
1 hour ago, Riggs said:

Plex does that, I have tried making artworks and including them in my library without publishing them in Fanart or TMDB. That said, it has happened to me that if I do an installation a few months later, that art is available, I still have no idea where Plex takes the artworks with certainty, you never know anything about size, quality, font. Nothing. Nada.

The funny thing is that now my arts are available in the Plex scrapper :lol:

Plex is the devil

Plex could be the devil but it doesnt use anaywhere as near cpu as Emby. Need to find out whats chewing up CPU time.

nanohits
12 minutes ago, CBers said:

Did you have a library scan running at that time ?

Nope, no scans running, I have a very library and scans were completed hours ago. ANd when I came back to the computer 4 hrs later, was wondering why my CPU was over 100% at times and when I shut the EMby server, went back to like 5% or less CPU.

12 minutes ago, CBers said:

Riggs
3 minutes ago, nanohits said:

Plex could be the devil but it doesnt use anaywhere as near cpu as Emby. Need to find out whats chewing up CPU time.

That's not true, it really isn't. Unless you have misconfigured Emby or something is really wrong with your decoding section or your server.
On the contrary, Emby is much lighter than Plex, as a process and when transcoding.

Check your installation would be my best advice.

nanohits
Just now, Riggs said:

That's not true, it really isn't. Unless you have misconfigured Emby or something is really wrong with your decoding section or your server.
On the contrary, Emby is much lighter than Plex, as a process and when transcoding.

Check your installation would be my best advice.

What is there to check man. Everything was default. I havent touched decoding or transcoding.  SO nothing can be wrong. Besides the server is IDLE. lol... Are you saying it is decoding when nothing is playing??

Riggs
2 minutes ago, nanohits said:

What is there to check man. Everything was default. I havent touched decoding or transcoding.  SO nothing can be wrong. Besides the server is IDLE. lol... Are you saying it is decoding when nothing is playing??

No. I just trying to help you.

Check your server configuration, and your Emby installation.

The defaults can work, but it depends in how your server is configurated,

What server version are you using? and what OS for your server?

nanohits
21 minutes ago, Riggs said:

No. I just trying to help you.

Check your server configuration, and your Emby installation.

The defaults can work, but it depends in how your server is configurated,

What server version are you using? and what OS for your server?

Latest on Embys website and server is Mac OS latest Mac Catalina OS. I dont think theres anything wrong with the configuration. ANyways I will keep monitoring and see how it is tomorrow, if still chewing up resources then I will put in a report to the developers to check. Apart from that, I do really like Emby. However their Fast forward needs work as it takes a while compared to Plex. So thats one thing I dont like. This is from my experience on Apple TV. It could be different in other devices perhaps. I do like the info and meta on Emby. It is far better than Plex. Emby also can do with a proper stats info. Plex is way ahead in the game in that. So it will say what users watched what, how much resources it takes up, memory, top 10 stats of all movies and TV shows watched etc. Yes I know there is a plugin, but its not live stats, its like once a day.

I am still working my way around Emby and so far like what I see.

Edited by nanohits

nanohits

YOu notice how I also spoke about the differences in Emby and Plex to keep this thread relevant? And that I said I would bring it up the issue if I see it happening in a new thread? 

12 minutes ago, nanohits said:

YOu notice how I also spoke about the differences in Emby and Plex to keep this thread relevant? And that I said I would bring it up the issue if I see it happening in a new thread? 

I meant, if you have issue with your Emby server/Apps that running on mac OS, then best to post about it on the correct forum based on your OS, so the dev can help you to solve the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Riggs

Latest on Embys website and server is Mac OS latest Mac Catalina OS. I dont think theres anything wrong with the configuration. ANyways I will keep monitoring and see how it is tomorrow, if still chewing up resources then I will put in a report to the developers to check. Apart from that, I do really like Emby. However their Fast forward needs work as it takes a while compared to Plex. So thats one thing I dont like. This is from my experience on Apple TV. It could be different in other devices perhaps. I do like the info and meta on Emby. It is far better than Plex. Emby also can do with a proper stats info. Plex is way ahead in the game in that. So it will say what users watched what, how much resources it takes up, memory, top 10 stats of all movies and TV shows watched etc. Yes I know there is a plugin, but its not live stats, its like once a day.

I am still working my way around Emby and so far like what I see.

Check if Plex is direct streaming. Always is better set both to direct streaming and in you web or app always put the maxim speed available  nevermind if you have less, in that way Emby can handle your needs according your device or web browser

In the web browser something like this:

2.jpg

nanohits
1 minute ago, Riggs said:

Check if Plex is direct streaming. Always is better set both to direct streaming and in you web or app always put the maxim speed available  nevermind if you have less, in that way Emby can handle your needs according your device or web browser

In the web browser something like this:

2.jpg

Bro, it doesnt matter, The damn server is idle lol.. Nothing is playing or doing anything, It is sitting idle, why would these settings make any difference when nothing is playing or transcoding? It has been sitting idle for hours. Anyways I dont want to go off topic here. I will start a new thread if it continues to happen. I will monitor for 24 hrs and see how it goes.

Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate that.

• Like 2

It's something in your configuration that will cause it.  It could be as simple as creating thumbnail images in the background during it's initial loading. Not using Hardware transcoding if available, etc.

As an admin users log into your Emby Console and look to see if anyone is playing anything and if it's transcoding.

Click on the Schedule menu and look to see if any processes are running (like thumbnail images).

If you don't see anything download TeamViewer and send me a PM with your ID and one-time use password and I'll give you a hand remotely.

NOW that's a difference between Plex and Emby. You can beg Plex for help and <crickets>.  Here we offer help and will go the extra mile.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

nanohits
5 hours ago, cayars said:

It's something in your configuration that will cause it.  It could be as simple as creating thumbnail images in the background during it's initial loading. Not using Hardware transcoding if available, etc.

As an admin users log into your Emby Console and look to see if anyone is playing anything and if it's transcoding.

Click on the Schedule menu and look to see if any processes are running (like thumbnail images).

If you don't see anything download TeamViewer and send me a PM with your ID and one-time use password and I'll give you a hand remotely.

NOW that's a difference between Plex and Emby. You can beg Plex for help and <crickets>.  Here we offer help and will go the extra mile.

And reading through these and others is why I signed up to the lifetime deal :) After 24 hrs the CPU has settled down. As you said it could have still been doing the thumbnails etc.

Thanks again to offer help. This is indeed rare these days.

• Like 1