Last Nvidia Shield Update has broken VC1 direct play playback

vdatanet
Go to solution Solved by vdatanet,

vdatanet

I think they probably will issue a fix fairly quickly but the next beta will disable direct play for VC1.

Thanks, I've tested the last beta and now video encoded with VC1 is transcoded. I'll keep an eye on nvidia forums (btw, I don't like new nvidia forums) and I'll tell you when VC1 direct playback is fixed.

pgalbavy

Do you mean server beta? It was 7 days ago and doesn't mention this in release notes. Is there an Nvidia shield app beta that I don't know about from reading this forum?

vdatanet

Do you mean server beta? It was 7 days ago and doesn't mention this in release notes. Is there an Nvidia shield app beta that I don't know about from reading this forum?

No, the application beta version.

pgalbavy

Ah! OK, found it via google (not easy via forum) and then had to remember my Shield is logged using using a house role account and not my normal google one :) I'll wait until I get home to see how it goes!

Ah! OK, found it via google (not easy via forum) and then had to remember my Shield is logged using using a house role account and not my normal google one :) I'll wait until I get home to see how it goes!

Hi. There is "Testing" area of the forum near the bottom with information on all our betas.

Thanks.

Android Open Beta Testing

• Like 1

vdatanet

I think they probably will issue a fix fairly quickly but the next beta will disable direct play for VC1.

Second hotfix will fix this:

Quick update. Hoping to share the second HotFIx image tomorrow with these issues addressed:

- VC1 playback not working.

But it's better to keep transcoding VC1 until this hotfix becomes official.

pgalbavy

Would it be possible to have a switch in settings (unless there is solid tests in the code) for those who are on firmware versions that work and do not?

• Like 3

vdatanet

@@ebr

it seems the VC1 Problem is solved, can you please disable your fix, so we can test it.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/305747/shield-experience-upgrade-80-hotfix-image/2241418/

But It's not a official release, just for testing. I would wait until an official update was released by Nvidia. Many users do not have this fix. This is my opinion but @@ebr decides.

Edited by vdatanet

mikeB2210

But It's not a official release, just for testing. I would wait until an official update was released by Nvidia. Many users do not have this fix.

Then I would prefer a switch like @@pgalbavy wrote above, because I will try also the fix from NVidia

Then I would prefer a switch like @@pgalbavy wrote above, because I will try also the fix from NVidia

If you want to test the fix from Nvidia, just use the release version of the app.

Thanks.

mikeB2210

If you want to test the fix from Nvidia, just use the release version of the app.

Thanks.

@@ebr How can I use the release version instead of the Beta?

vdatanet

@@ebr How can I use the release version instead of the Beta?

1. Uninstall

2. Leave the beta program

3. Reinstall Google Play Version

I've done that several times, to test the release version.

After that, if you want, you can join the beta program again

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
vdatanet

Fixed in Shield Experience 8.0.1. Beta 1.7.54 is direct playing again VC1 videos.

• 4 months later...
~Achilles~

Hate to resurrect this thread but can anyone else confirm bugs I am seeing on the Shield for playback of The Matrix and Matrix Reloaded remuxed from BD.

The Matrix - Transcoding forced

Matrix Reload - Artifacts and green screen decoding errors right at start

I am observing the same issues with both Plex and SPMC on the Shield.

Using other platforms and apps like iOS/tvOS + Infuse, iOS/tvOS + Plex, Embedded Plex Media Player don't exhibit these issues.

I think Nvidia has a deficiency with their HW VC-1 decoder on the Shield. I produced these issues on both a 2015 and a 2019 ShieldTV Pro using the latest SE 8.0.2 and SE 8.1.1 (HotFix 4) respectively.

@@cayars

vdatanet

No issues here, direct playing. I have some VC1 remuxed BD rips. This weekend I've watched Back to the Future saga without issues direct playing.

~Achilles~

No issues here, direct playing. I have some VC1 remuxed BD rips. This weekend I've watched Back to the Future saga without issues direct playing.

You have no issues with The Matrix and Matrix Reloaded? The issue is with those specific titles. I don't see issues with other VC-1 titles on the Shield.

Edited by ~Achilles~

vdatanet

You have no issues with The Matrix and Matrix Reloaded? The issue is with those specific titles. I don't see issues with other VC-1 titles on the Shield.

Sorry, I don't have those titles to test.

I don't have those titles either to test with in their disc form.  I converted them for easier playback.

Edited by cayars

• 2 months later...
jriker1

Anyone else having issues with VC-1 with the NVidia Shield?  I have the Shield Pro TV 2019 edition with all updates.  It's transcoding my 8,000 kb/s WMV VC-1 content.  I've also tried moving my video and audio as is with ffmpeg to MKV but same deal.

Edited by jriker1