Last Nvidia Shield Update has broken VC1 direct play playback

vdatanet
Go to solution Solved by vdatanet,

pgalbavy

Agreed. Audio is fine, screen is black (unless you view menus and other overlays).

Plex works ok on same media. All other mkv contained codec video is fine.

vdatanet

Do either of you have a sample file available?

I'm preparing a small sample, the file is too big.

vdatanet

Here is the sample:

http://www.vdata.net/output.zip

This movie has DTS and AC3 tracks. My system doesn't support DTS, so when I play the file with DTS track selected, audio is transcoded and the movie plays fine. But when I select an AC3 track then playback is direct play and the video becomes black. Movies with only AC3 track also plays with video black.

Guest asrequested

This movie has DTS and AC3 tracks. My system doesn't support DTS, so when I play the file with DTS track selected, audio is transcoded and the movie plays fine. But when I select an AC3 track then playback is direct play and the video becomes black. Movies with only AC3 track also plays with video black.

So maybe it has something to do with the container (mkv), and not the codec? I wonder what would happen if it was an mp4 container? Or hls is solving the problem? Could be a splitting issue... ???

vdatanet

It's strange when I select AC3 track playback is direct play, but when I select DTS instead of remux it's full transcoded:

Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (vc1 (native) -> h264 (h264_vaapi))
Stream #0:2 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))
Stream #0:11 -> #1:0 (subrip (srt) -> webvtt (native))

Guest asrequested

Oh, it's transcoding the video, too. So this is starting to look like the hardware updates Nvidia mentioned, might also include no hardware acceleration for VC1.

vdatanet

It's strange when I select AC3 track playback is direct play, but when I select DTS instead of remux it's full transcoded:

Stream mapping:

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (vc1 (native) -> h264 (h264_vaapi))

Stream #0:2 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))

Stream #0:11 -> #1:0 (subrip (srt) -> webvtt (native))

Because we cannot deliver VC1 via HLS so need to convert it.

This FW upgrade is starting to look like a disaster for nVidia - hopefully, they can react quickly.

Guest asrequested

This FW upgrade is starting to look like a disaster for nVidia - hopefully, they can react quickly.

I think someone is asleep at the wheel, over there.

Plex transcodes the file, as it says "VC1 is not supported on this device".

They must have never supported direct playing them because the device is still reporting it supports VC1 if we are direct playing it (we only do that if the device tells us it is supported).

• Like 1

vdatanet

They must have never supported direct playing them because the device is still reporting it supports VC1 if we are direct playing it (we only do that if the device tells us it is supported).

Googling a bit I have seen that problems with the VC1 codec were common in the past. I think VC1 should be transcoded until this issue is fixed.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

vdatanet
This is what sniper (Nvidia Forum Moderator) says in Nvidia Forum:

VC1 playback not working. Reproduced and debugging.

We missed advertising vc1 support in 8.0 so players don’t see we’re capable and fall back.

Easy fix, will get included in the 8.0+ HotFix image and the next official release.

@@ebr you have two options:

1) Wait (Maybe 6 months  :D )

2) Transcode VC1 videos

If I were you I would force transcoding and when they'll fix this issue, direct play playback again

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 2

pgalbavy

I hope / suspect that this is a big enough issue for nvidia they get a hotfix out in weeks, and not their usual "whenever" schedule.

• Like 1

vdatanet

I hope / suspect that this is a big enough issue for nvidia they get a hotfix out in weeks, and not their usual "whenever" schedule.

It makes sense that they release an immediate hotfix for critical issues.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

This is what sniper (Nvidia Forum Moderator) says in Nvidia Forum:

VC1 playback not working. Reproduced and debugging.
We missed advertising vc1 support in 8.0 so players don’t see we’re capable and fall back.
Easy fix, will get included in the 8.0+ HotFix image and the next official release.

@@ebr you have two options:

1) Wait (Maybe 6 months  :D )
2) Transcode VC1 videos

If I were you I would force transcoding and when they'll fix this issue, direct play playback again

What about this? I don't expect an Nvidia quick fix, so I think VC1 videos should be transcoded.

• Like 1

I think they probably will issue a fix fairly quickly but the next beta will disable direct play for VC1.

• Like 2