Next Up not loading correctly 4.2.0.40

bfir3
Go to solution Solved by bfir3,

bfir3

Had no issues up until today. I logged in on my admin account at work, and I had just one item in Next Up from a show I had watched a long time ago. After refreshing it disappeared and I now can't see any Next Up items. If I run the API command in the console window of my browser, it returns 0 items from the getNextUpEpisodes command.

1np571x.png

I tried logging onto a different account to see if the problem persisted, but on this account the Next Up section did appear, but it was populated with a bunch of random episodes.

G8eJ0uw.png

I attached my log file if that helps at all. The only settings I've touched on the server since yesterday (when NextUp was working fine) is the Cinema Mode by enabling an Intro on video playback.

embyserver.txt

Do you delete your episodes after you watch them?

You have to have an existing watched episode in order for the system to know what is next up for that series.

bfir3

I mean, I would expect to see the same kinds of things I was seeing yesterday. That is the Next Up episodes of the various series I am watching. I don't delete episodes ever. As you can see from the Continue Watching section, there are several series in progress. Normally these series appear in the Next Up section as well. Also, I am just not getting the Next Up section at all on my admin account, and as you can see on the other account the Next Up items are completely random S1E1 items.

edit: If I go to individual series on my admin account or other accounts, the Next Up shows correctly on the series page. Navigating back to home either has random results or doesn't show the Next Up at all.

Edited by bfir3

bfir3

What do you see on the series screen?

I see the normal Next Up section with the correct Next Up items populating in it. Examples:

https://imgur.com/a/12lAThs

What would you expect to see? I imagine it is pretty clear that there is a problem just from glancing over the images in OP. You can clearly see multiple Episodes being watched in the Continue Watching section, which means that the Next Up section should have items populating in it. In addition, even when I haven't watched anything at all (fresh user), the section is populated with random items, so I would never expect it to be empty (or not show at all).

For good girls, what preceding episodes do you have in your library that are marked as played?

bfir3

For good girls, what preceding episodes do you have in your library that are marked as played?

Every episode from season 1, and the first 3 episodes from season 2. I'm wondering what is causing the getNextUpEpisodes command to return no items. But even then, that doesn't explain the random Next Up items on the other user account.

Every episode from season 1, and the first 3 episodes from season 2

Are they marked as played in Emby?

But even then, that doesn't explain the random Next Up items on the other user account.

When you have not started watching anything, Emby will just select several S1E1 items to display there.

It sounds like, somehow, you've lost your watched status...

When you have not started watching anything, Emby will just select several S1E1 items to display there.

It sounds like, somehow, you've lost your watched status...

Well that's a new test user he created.

bfir3

Are they marked as played in Emby?

Yes they are all marked as played/watched.

@@ebr You can see I haven't lost my watched statuses because there are episodes marked as watched in the screen shots I've provided.

Do any of the episodes in that series have custom sort titles applied? Can you please check the  metadata editor? thanks.

bfir3

Do any of the episodes in that series have custom sort titles applied? Can you please check the  metadata editor? thanks.

None of them do.

o0SiGDp.png

Happy2Play

Have you verified the User preferences-Home Screen settings?

bfir3

@@Happy2Play Yes, I have. You can also see that I have tested from another user and the Next Up section is visible but randomly populated and not showing the items from series that have actually been watched.

Additionally, I have tested the getNextUpEpisodes API command on my admin user as I mentioned previously, and it returns 0 items.

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play Yes, I have. You can also see that I have tested from another user and the Next Up section is visible but randomly populated and not showing the items from series that have actually been watched.

Additionally, I have tested the getNextUpEpisodes API command on my admin user as I mentioned previously, and it returns 0 items.

If you additional user has watched something then your have a database problem.  But if that is a user that has never watched anything then that is normal.

bfir3

If you additional user has watched something then your have a database problem.  But if that is a user that has never watched anything then that is normal.

This user has plenty of watched statuses, you can see in the picture in the Continue Watching section that there are several series in progress.

@@Luke Home screen settings have "Display in home screen sections such as latest media and continue watching" enabled for all libraries.

bfir3

have you run a library scan since updating?

I have not. I removed the scan media library task since Emby picks everything up with the realtime monitoring. Do you think running a library scan will solve this issue? I've been using it like this for years without issue.

e4i1kOV.png

Edited by bfir3

bfir3

I'm not sure but since we currently don't know what's going on, it couldn't hurt.

Okay, I will give it a shot. It will probably take a very long time to run, we'll see what happens...

• Solution
bfir3

I'm not sure but since we currently don't know what's going on, it couldn't hurt.

You'll be happy to know that the Library scan resolved the issue. And it took less than 5 hours to complete. Thanks!

• Like 1